Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running a auto locker in the rear?

Old 04-01-2014, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running a auto locker in the rear?

So i have been posting and searching on here before doing my gear swap. But i am stuck with the rear locker option. At first i was set on running a full auto locker in the rear, like a Detroit, and then i started reading. I read that tire pressure will effect them, my long arms will effect them, and the list keeps going. I am aware of the popping and noises they make and that does not bother me. I do not daily my rig but when i do drive it to work it is about 20 miles each way. So my question is who run's a full auto locker in the rear and how do you like it?
Old 04-01-2014, 09:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Auto Locker

I had a 'No Slip' in the back of my TJ years and years ago.

I thought it worked very well.

Just don't give it gas around a tight turn in the wet.

and you end up using 4WD more in the snow on the pavement because without it, your rear end is a LOT more likely to slide sideways vs. an open diff.

but yea, as an inexpensive option it worked quite well on the trail, and road manners were acceptable.

nothing will beat a selectable locker, and since you have a JK, anytime your in 4WD, it engages your Brake Lock Diffs....

so I'm not sure I'd even spend the $ for a JK...

are you doing trails where you find that having the rear locked would be of benefit?

with a long arm on my last TJ, I bet I used the lockers... 5x at most across 2 years on the trail... the long arm kept all the tires on the ground all the time, and it was not really needed for anything short of the worst situations.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a TrueTrac in the rear and in the front and have no problems.

The JK is enhanced by the locker as it helps the BLD and only is locked under power and slip.

I don't drive in the snow now as I am in Florida, but I'm from Montana and have seen a little snow and lockers.

In really slick mud I am still moving forward when others are slipping backwards.

Could be the tires or could be both.

It just works.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
I had a 'No Slip' in the back of my TJ years and years ago.

I thought it worked very well.

Just don't give it gas around a tight turn in the wet.

and you end up using 4WD more in the snow on the pavement because without it, your rear end is a LOT more likely to slide sideways vs. an open diff.

but yea, as an inexpensive option it worked quite well on the trail, and road manners were acceptable.

nothing will beat a selectable locker, and since you have a JK, anytime your in 4WD, it engages your Brake Lock Diffs....

so I'm not sure I'd even spend the $ for a JK...

are you doing trails where you find that having the rear locked would be of benefit?

with a long arm on my last TJ, I bet I used the lockers... 5x at most across 2 years on the trail... the long arm kept all the tires on the ground all the time, and it was not really needed for anything short of the worst situations.
Honestly i have not been anywhere yet where i needed lockers. But i need a regear and figured i should put atleast one in while they were being done. So i saw the auto locker, but than read that the JK doesnt like them and there are some issues. Thanks for the info on the Brake Lock Diffs i had no clue about that.

Originally Posted by DadsCJ
I run a TrueTrac in the rear and in the front and have no problems.

The JK is enhanced by the locker as it helps the BLD and only is locked under power and slip.

I don't drive in the snow now as I am in Florida, but I'm from Montana and have seen a little snow and lockers.

In really slick mud I am still moving forward when others are slipping backwards.

Could be the tires or could be both.

It just works.
Thanks for the info. I dont see snow much as im in SoCal, but that is deffinetley something to look for if im ever in that situation.

Quick Reply: Anyone running a auto locker in the rear?