Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone running no rear bumper?

Old 03-23-2011, 05:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone running no rear bumper?

Trying to figure out what to do as far as taking the departure angle robbing, cheapo looking plastic bumper off the ass of my jeep. I pulled the rear bumper off to see what's doing and to try and see if I could fab something up instead of shelling out $600 plus for a rear bumper.

To my suprise, the jk actually doesn't look too bad with no bumper! Does anyone run theirs this way? If so, did you do any home brew mods clean it up? I see EVO has shackle mounts that are made for this application.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Highly illegal to operate a motor vehicle on road with no bumper. However ive seen vehicles run 2x6's for bumpers, not sure on the legality of that.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could u post some picks of the back with no bumper, im also interested in this idea
Old 03-23-2011, 05:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Also interested in this. Subscribed
Old 03-23-2011, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

depends on where youre at if its legal or not. Not illegal to run no-bumper in Nebraska. if it were, i'd have no problem affording jk mods as i would be in court all the time on the tickets i could issue....wait a minute. I better call my senator. i am totally getting screwed out of some easy court overtime pay.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Blakspire
Highly illegal to operate a motor vehicle on road with no bumper. However ive seen vehicles run 2x6's for bumpers, not sure on the legality of that.
It is illegal, in some states, however, I don't think I you can call that the plastic aesthetic on the rear a bumper, the metal crossmember underneath is, for all intensive purposes, the bumper. I to have seen people pimp their whip with wood. Haha!

I am running without my front and rear plastic, for the time being, and agree it doesn't look terrible. Sometimes I get funny looks or a double take but more often than not I get a thumbs up! I say run with it if you like it, at least until you come up with something gnarly for the rear.

Last edited by sideswiper; 03-23-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not running a rear bumper cause I want to run the evo rear tire carrier. I have not been pulled over so far and I have been running it like this for over a month. I will be building my own stubby with a swing out tire carrier.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well after some tinkering tonight it looks like the metal insert from the front bumper can be formed into a workable "mini bumper" for the rear. (I already replaced the front with a LOD midwidth so have the factory front parts lying around.) It fits snug over the rear crossmember and frame rails and could easily be welded in place, or a few home depot brackets will do the trick..

It looks more finished than just the crossmember and should be enough bumper to avoid a ticket in those locales where needed. Most importantly, its free!

It's definitely not a heavy duty rock crawler solution, but is cosmeticly a better solution over the naked "crossmember showing" look. I will try and get a few pics up in the next day or 2.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Subscribed. This is a great thread topic. I ditched mine a while ago. Glad I'm not alone. The plastic is just stupid and worthless. It can hardly be considered a bumper. There's someone on here who just plugged the frame ends with a piece of plastic. Looks alright for me.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm running the poison spyder bfh rear bumper. U have to cut some of the rear frame rail and cross member. This bumper will give you all the clearance you need.

It's like 349 I think. Extra 50 for shackle tabs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2505504372.jpg
Views:	1353
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	141213   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1179484136.jpg
Views:	1144
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	141214   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3462004484.jpg
Views:	1031
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	141215  

Quick Reply: Anyone running no rear bumper?