Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone Running RIPP Log Tube Headers with a Long Arm Lift?

Old 12-01-2011, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about the crutches.

I think this is something I'm going to try. You say it wasn't too much work to make it fit. I won't be doing this myself so I, too, wanted something to show the shop. But I think someone who knows what they are doing should be able to make this work.

Did you mount a final muffler behind the resonator? If so, where?

Last edited by Dead_Nuts; 12-01-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:14 PM
JK Freak

Here are a few pictures of mine. GKR gave me the info so I could get mine done.

Last edited by SergeantChuck; 12-01-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dead_Nuts
Sorry to hear about the crutches.

I think this is something I'm going to try. You say it wasn't too much work to make it fit. I won't be doing this myself so I, too, wanted something to show the shop. But I think someone who knows what they are doing should be able to make this work.

Did you mount a final muffler behind the resonator? If so, where?
I may have missed it. Not sure what Cat-Back you were going to buy. I went with the MBRP Cat-Back that was recommended by Ripp. I did not do the offroad version. Plain and simple, it was just going to be easier to install the Model #S5516409

Once the headers were in place it was as simple as leaving off a 18" pipe that came with the Cat-Back and install the resonator in that location. If I had bough the MBRP offroad version the resonator would have to mount behind the muffler. Not sure how that would sound or work. Most likely would have done some cutting to make a spot for the resonator. Maybe not. I did not even attempt to look into it.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:16 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you very much. This should help.

You have the same lift as I do, so that should work out great.

I see what you mean about the muffler location. The MBRP tucks up alot further than the stock one does, so that should be fine.

By the way, how does it sound? Is it loud on the highway?
Old 12-02-2011, 02:39 PM
JK Freak

Sounds great at idle. WOT sounds even better. When cruising at 70mph I can barely notice it. No dronning. Radio can easily cover it up but I think the tires are louder. If you need any other pictures let me know
Old 12-04-2011, 08:31 AM
GKR
JK Newbie

Sorry no new pics of crossover pipe mod yet but found a pic showing the muffler and resonator location. I had everything from the Ripp Y pipe back custom bent at the exhaust shop. Large 2.5" Magnaflow muffler and a 3" straight through glasspack (resonator) right behind it. You can just see the welded flange of the resonator.
As far as the Y pipe mod, I did mine in the driveway so if you are taking it to an exhaust shop, they will be able to knock it out easy. There is enough adjustment in the passenger header to y pipe ball to allow it to move inward enough to clear longarms. You just trim and reweld the crossover pipe accordingly.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GKR
There is enough adjustment in the passenger header to y pipe ball to allow it to move inward enough to clear longarms. You just trim and reweld the crossover pipe accordingly.
That was really the only modification needed on mine. When they welded the crossovers together they dont run straight across from each other after moving them to clear the control arm bracket. Its kind of shaped like a "V". Very slight angle.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:01 PM
GKR
JK Newbie

Hobbled out and grabbed a pic.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:33 PM
JK Freak

Good picture!!! You did a better job than me. My seam for the crossover tubes is dead center and the tubes are somewhat shaped in a V toward the engine. I think we made more clearance than we needed from the control arm brackets. But it performs and sounds great. Going for the SC next.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:52 PM
GKR
JK Newbie

Yeah, my first one I cut and welded where this one is and had a slip joint right in the center like yours. It worked fine, I just crushed it on a big ole rock!! When I crawled under there today, I noticed I already put some markes on this one.........I had planned to fab a skid after the new piece since its probably the lowest part but went wheeling before I got it done.......oh well, always something.

Last edited by GKR; 12-17-2011 at 09:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone Running RIPP Log Tube Headers with a Long Arm Lift?