Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone Tow with a Smittybilt XRC rear bumper?

Old 05-02-2020, 10:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Not at all saying you can't, but dang, takes bit more guts towing 3k on 4.5" lift 40s. . Safe roaming!
Old 05-02-2020, 11:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why? Note I've never towed a thing in my life so I'm trying to get an understanding of what yo expect and how to from people that have.

Originally Posted by resharp001
Not at all saying you can't, but dang, takes bit more guts towing 3k on 4.5" lift 40s. . Safe roaming!
Old 05-02-2020, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

Also, I'm running a 4 door not a 2. So im longer and wider.

Originally Posted by resharp001

Old 05-02-2020, 12:12 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

On this forum, rob has the most experience towing weight from what I observe, but he wasn't lifted as high or big tires at the time. Anytime you're raising the COG that whole thing is changing. I do have experience towing on about 2500lbs on 35s and 3.5" lift with a smitty rear bumper. I personally wouldn't want to do more, but that is just me. I have a skinny bumper now, so no cross member. Towing a 1K overland trailer with maybe 5-600lbs (~1600 loaded) with 3.6L, 4.88, and 37s is plenty for me. I've also towed about 2500lbs with the 37s and 5.13 gears. Your long arms probably help a bit. Just saying, you are no longer stock, so don't expect it to be like towing that much weight stock or factory height. I have a harder time judging your situation cuz most people i know on 40s are now trailer princesses. Again, not implying you can't do it, just that it's a different ball game and everyone has a different willingness.

also, my "safe roaming" comment wasn't some jab. just stay safe out there and enjoy your journey! I'm sure Rob will chime in cuz he monitors things semi-regularly. The Smitty bumper/reciever reinforcing at the rear crossmember is definitely a plus.
The following users liked this post:
Nicholas Ryan (05-02-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 01:57 PM
JK Newbie

Ya no worries, Im just looking for info. I upgraded just about everything on this jeep. Its Turbocharged, also has a PSC steering upgrade. I'll be towing, without the doors and top 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️ again not sure if that matters or not.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Yes, I was every successful towing 5k pounds with my 2012 JKU. I very intentionally kept it with stock tire sizes and suspension, so I can't comment on larger sizes. My towing days are over for now. As some of you know, I got a Toyota Tundra to tow my toy hauler. Now I've even done away with that. I bought a 30ft newmar bay star RV so no longer tow a trailer. My 4dr Jeep was replaced with a 2dr 2014 Willy's and I am going to set the Jeep up to tow behind the RV.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 113 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicholas Ryan
Why? Note I've never towed a thing in my life so I'm trying to get an understanding of what yo expect and how to from people that have.
the fact that you’re inexperienced with towing, I would highly suggest you stay away from towing anything heavy with your rig, and for your Jeep, 3000 lbs I would consider heavy.

your Jeep has a tall and squishy suspension that’s not built for towing heavy loads. You’re asking for trouble anytime you hit a bump, slam on your brakes, or need to make a quick turn.

coilovers are great for off-roading but I wouldn’t want to put a heavy tongue weight on them then tow a 3000lb trailer with them.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Nicholas Ryan
Hey bro what Hitch/Brake controller were you running? I have a 4.5 longarm lift running Dynatrac 60 F/R with 5.38 and King Coils over on 40s. I'm running the Smitty XRC 2, I assume its rated for roughly the same, i havent checked it yet.

The trailer I'm running is a 2020 Bushwhacker Plus, roughly 3k.
nice advice

Last edited by barongan; 05-06-2020 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What about wiring the lights for the trailer?

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
You guy talking about me? Yes, I specifically installed the smittybilt XRC bumper in my 2012 and successfully towed a 5000 pound toy hauler for a few years, putting 5-6000 miles on that setup. I also used weight distribution to keep the Jeep from doing a wheelie. I love the bumper and have recommended it many times on here. As far as I know, it is the only aftermarket bumper that actually puts a rating on it. It is rated for 5000 pounds. That bumper was a huge improvement over stock, towing the same trailer. The stock receiver can twist when using the weight dist hitch. My smittybilt bumper have been on the Jeep for about 4 years and still looks new.
I just bought one and I plan to tow a small overland tear drop trailer. But what do I do for plugging in the trailer to get the taillights to work
Old 08-03-2023, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 422 Posts

jcaludiojk - you should just wire up the standard 3 wire plus ground flat plug system assuming you have that on the jeep side already. If not then there is plenty of wiring diagrams to make that side work. I am using a military trailer with a surge brake pintle setup so also did the 4 wire setup and the 24V converted to 12V lights seem to light up well even though the trailer is not ready to use as a camper yet.

Quick Reply: Anyone Tow with a Smittybilt XRC rear bumper?