Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone wheeling on AEV wheels?

Old 10-18-2008, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone wheeling on AEV wheels?

First, a quick into as I am a newbie to the site. I am from CT and run a 2dr JK Rubi. I have been wheeling stock for 6 months or so and have decided to upgrade.

I am looking at adding a 4" Superlift with 35's on AEV Bridgers. The wheels are sweet but don't know how long they stay that way. Does anyone have them and go off-road? They are powercoated but do they resist scratches and rashes?

Thanks!
Mig
Old 10-18-2008, 09:16 AM
JK Super Freak

I've got the 17" AEV Pintlers on my JK. My JK is not a daily driver but only used off road (and getting there). It has 6000 miles on it with the much of it off road (in harsh Colorado and Utah conditions). The wheels are in fine shape and I'd buy them again.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CT Rubi
They are powercoated but do they resist scratches and rashes?
No alloy rim is resistant to scrathes and rashes. Steel rims are resistant or get alloys with fake locks and then make steel locks.

Below is MT Classic II that has a fake steel lock added on. They welded on some alloy tabs that have a thread for the fake lock srews.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sim79
No alloy rim is resistant to scrathes and rashes. Steel rims are resistant or get alloys with fake locks and then make steel locks.

Below is MT Classic II that has a fake steel lock added on. They welded on some alloy tabs that have a thread for the fake lock srews.
Good idea. One of the reasons I was going with the AEV is that it is compatible with the TPMS. From what I understand AEV is one of the few that are, do you get any false message from using MT's?
Old 10-18-2008, 05:44 PM
JK Junkie

All wheels are compatable with TPMS.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:23 PM
JK Super Freak

The dealer can reprogram your TPMS to a lower pressure if needed (due to running bigger tires).

FWIW I can't see running conventional beadlockers because they only hold one side of the tire on. A rock can pop the inside off too. If you really need a BL the Staun works well, holds both sides of the tire on the bead and will function as a run flat too.

As to running phony bead lockers for the looks..........that reminds me of the poser trucks Sothern Cal dealers used to do - jacked up 2WD trucks.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chuck45

As to running phony bead lockers for the looks..........
STEEL fake bead locks AREN'T for looks they are the only option for rim protection if you run alloys and like playing with rocks. Do you have a better idea?
If they these were being used for looks they would be alloy and chromed
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-19-2008, 06:33 AM
JK Super Freak

I guess I've never seen them used for that purpose. There's a lot of rigs around her that do nothing but play in the rocks (hell, Colorado and Utah are nothing but rock!) and they either have the real deal or nothing. If I was worried about this I'd run a steel rim.

I still believe it's a looks thing. I've been doing this since the early 70's and I've only bent one rim - and that was steel - and was because I got stupid with the skinny pedal.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chuck45
I guess I've never seen them used for that purpose. There's a lot of rigs around her that do nothing but play in the rocks (hell, Colorado and Utah are nothing but rock!) and they either have the real deal or nothing. If I was worried about this I'd run a steel rim.

I still believe it's a looks thing. I've been doing this since the early 70's and I've only bent one rim - and that was steel - and was because I got stupid with the skinny pedal.
Hey Chuck45, do you have any issues running with 12.50 tires? I was told by a shop that running 8.5 wheels and 12.50 tires will cause uneven tread wear.

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am using the American Racing Outlaw II rims and if I do anymore damage my bead will fall off!! What brands are good quality alloys?

Quick Reply: Anyone wheeling on AEV wheels?