Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ARB air locker issue

Old 10-05-2014, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARB air locker issue

I just had an ARB locker installed in my front dana 44 when I went to 5.13s. when I engaged the front locker I couldn't turn the wheels..... I was on concrete.... and just wanted to make sure it was functioning. I had to disengaged the locker and roll the vehicle forward and back a few times to disengage the locker even after turning the switch off............

anyone have an idea what is wrong??
Old 10-05-2014, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dusmmdb
I just had an ARB locker installed in my front dana 44 when I went to 5.13s. when I engaged the front locker I couldn't turn the wheels..... I was on concrete.... and just wanted to make sure it was functioning. I had to disengaged the locker and roll the vehicle forward and back a few times to disengage the locker even after turning the switch off............

A front locker is harder to steer. When we started using them in the 80's we had to install a cooler on the PS pump. They are worth it though when needed. You probably just had to let the pressure of the gears after trying to steer it. That happens often when four wheeling.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

it was basically impossible to steer..... is it because I was on the street??
Old 10-05-2014, 04:44 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You were on dry concrete instead of mud/dirt/loose rock/snow/ice/etc ?
Old 10-05-2014, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah that means is working, its not recommended to use a locked locker on pavement anyway especially on the front. It puts a ton of strain on the drive train. Great way to snap an axle, seen it done with the guys that would run welded diff on on the road.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You just verified it is working. Congrats.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:50 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Dahmer
Yeah that means is working, its not recommended to use a locked locker on pavement anyway especially on the front. It puts a ton of strain on the drive train. Great way to snap an axle, seen it done with the guys that would run welded diff on on the road.
x 100000 didn't shop tell you never use on dry pavement? I have ARB front n back... Great product
Old 10-05-2014, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

no they didn't say a word... have had my rear for a few years... love it.... installed the front for my Moab trip next week and just decided to test it..... I just thought I would turn the wheel.. feel the skip and disengage....

thank goodness I didn't learn my lesson the hard way by breaking something.....

yes............ I feel stupid!!!

thanks guys
Old 10-05-2014, 07:21 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

This kind of situation is why they put a big bold caution in the owners manual against using 4WD on dry pavement.

At least you aren't alone. There was a post a while back from a guy that just had a set of dyna 60's and 40" tires installed, then immediately went into the asphalt parking like and started doing figure 8's while in 4wd. Came on here all upset about how the shop f'd up the install...
Old 10-06-2014, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

no they didn't say a word... have had my rear for a few years... love it.... installed the front for my Moab trip next week and just decided to test it..... I just thought I would turn the wheel.. feel the skip and disengage....

thank goodness I didn't learn my lesson the hard way by breaking something.....

yes............ I feel stupid!!!

thanks guys
Also when you are off road and there's hard ground always feed some throttle to help steer if the locker is in. It will steer pretty well this way. Otherwise you'll fight the steering system and heat up the pump. Once you get used to it it's easy.

Quick Reply: ARB air locker issue