Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ARB vs. Detriot Lockers

Old 04-28-2011, 06:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARB vs. Detriot Lockers

Can anyone chime in with their opinions and/or experiences with them.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bingbola
Can anyone chime in with their opinions and/or experiences with them.
ARB FTW! Especially if you want a selectable locker for the road.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO it is simply personal preference.

Check here first- http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tech/d...ts-lockers-101

There is not a perfect system, it does not exist. I've run nearly every locker out there and for my use, my vehicles, my location, my experience-my preference is a Detroit. For you, the right choice may be ARB.

A locked selectable, like an ARB, is much harder to turn (again- when locked) than a Detroit or any other automatic locker. This was very evident in Moab over Safari when, for the first time in 6 years, I wheeled with a selectable up front instead of a Detroit. While many of us consider a ram assist and 'must have' item, it is much more needed with a front selectable if you plan on turning in a high traction situation with your locker engaged.

In a 2dr JK (or older SWB Jeep) with a manual transmission a Detroit can be a handful if the rig isn't set up well and your significant other may hate it. The only time I don't recommend Detroits is for a daily driver that is driven in compact snow and ice frequently.

As I've said, it's really just personal preference.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
IMO it is simply personal preference.

Check here first- http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tech/d...ts-lockers-101

There is not a perfect system, it does not exist. I've run nearly every locker out there and for my use, my vehicles, my location, my experience-my preference is a Detroit. For you, the right choice may be ARB.

A locked selectable, like an ARB, is much harder to turn (again- when locked) than a Detroit or any other automatic locker. This was very evident in Moab over Safari when, for the first time in 6 years, I wheeled with a selectable up front instead of a Detroit. While many of us consider a ram assist and 'must have' item, it is much more needed with a front selectable if you plan on turning in a high traction situation with your locker engaged.

In a 2dr JK (or older SWB Jeep) with a manual transmission a Detroit can be a handful if the rig isn't set up well and your significant other may hate it. The only time I don't recommend Detroits is for a daily driver that is driven in compact snow and ice frequently.

As I've said, it's really just personal preference.
Not to hi-jack, but how is the truetrac for a daily driver? I'm looking to run one in both the front & rear.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XBlacky08X
Not to hi-jack, but how is the truetrac for a daily driver? I'm looking to run one in both the front & rear.
They're great. While they're not lockers, I think they're as close as you'll get with an LSD. You may notice the steering to be just slightly heavier in 2WD but you get used to it quickly. They'll go almost everywhere a locker will go until you start lifting tires.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default ARB vs. Detroit

The correct answer is Both. That said, personal preference is really what it comes down to. But the problem with personal preference, how do you know if you haven't experienced either option personally to form a preference. So we post questions and try and find enough information to satisfy or persuade us one way or another and hope it's right decision.

So my perspective and preference. I have a 99 TJ and an 07 JK Unlimited. The TJ is running 35's with 4:56 gears and a Detroit in the rear with ARB up front. The JK is running 35's with 5:13 and ARB in the rear with an open front diff at the moment.

Having the Detroit took some getting use to, on the road it does handle a bit different. Since you have no slip of the outside tire on a turn you will get on occasion a loud BANG, don't worry that is normal and a good thing. This is releasing pressure that is generated from not having the outside tire slip as it would in dirt, snow mud etc. With a selectable locker you would not be driving around normally with the locker engaged and this is not an issue.

As the Dynatrac post mentioned, in the snow I feel the Detroit is at a disadvantage. I find both wheels spin and slide more and you have less traction than if you where running un-locked or dis-engaged while only one wheel is driving leaving the other wheel to keep stability. Personal experience I prefer not turn the ARB on as I have more control and stability while driving in certain conditions.

The nice and major advantage of the Detroit over the ARB is less parts to make it work. The Detroit just works, end of story. The ARB is very strong and if you happen to go to king of the hammers you will see a lot of guys running ARB's (I think couple reasons for that). So we know that both can take the punishment and abuse no problem. So the disadvantage is in the system that makes the ARB work. I have had 2 problems that prevented the locker from working. Broke the negative wire some how from the battery and prevented the air compressor from working and thus no locker. The second failure was the airline burst and with air an air locker does not work. I know carry parts to fix that issue, lesson learned. So the detroit just works with no problems.

On the Front I love having a selectable locker. If I need to turn the wheel I turn off the locker adjust the wheel and turn it back on. No fighting a loosing battle of trying to turn the Jeep instead of the tires. I have driven a couple of rigs with Detroit's or similar and found that steering with out a hydraulic steering setup sucks at times.

At the end of the day I have gone from at one time believing that a Detroit is the only way to go, to now preferring a selectable locker. And after attending the last 2 King of the Hammers and seeing many of the rigs running ARB's I figure they must know something else that I don't. My guess is not only options and flexibility but at times not being locked has advantages.

It's all about opinion and preference, advantages and dis-advantages and what you are willing to live with. Currently I am willing to live with the odd occasion that my ARB's might not work.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: ARB vs. Detriot Lockers