Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Atlas 2 and Atlas 4 (pros cons)

Old 02-28-2012, 03:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atlas 2 and Atlas 4 (pros cons)

so im looking to get an Atlas transfercase eventually once i get 35's.

what are the pros and cons of each unit?
are there certain parts i will have to change in addition to the actual Tcase (driveshafts, OEM skidplates, etc)? and does it depend on whether or not i get a 2spd or 4spd?
any input from current owners? what do you or dont you like about it?
Old 02-28-2012, 05:10 PM
JK Freak

no one?
Old 02-28-2012, 06:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's some great info if you search atlas here. Pros: It gives you a great deal more control over your single stick in both axle speed and in choosing front, rear or both for doing some slick slo-mo maneuvering. Cons: It growls a bit at certain RPM's.

Tip: If you do get one, throw a Superchip crawl tuning on top while on the trail. Pure sweetness.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:50 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a great question and is usually answered by how your Jeep is equipped and how you use it.

The area you wheel is the biggest factor. I going to assume by your location that most of the trails you run are dirt and you do little rock crawling. If this is accurate, the 3.8 ratio Atlas II will probably be fine for your use. I see you are running a manual trans. If you were running an auto, the 3.0 might be better for you. If you frequently do rocks, the 4.3 ratio is usually a good choice. Most users find the 5-1 ratio too low anything but hard core rocks.

Where the 4 speed Atlas really shines is for the user that frequents many different types of areas. In the sand or snow you may want a 2-1 or 2.7 ratio. Running wooded trails, 2.7-3.8 might be perfect. In rocky areas you might want 4.3 or even much deeper depending on the location. IMO, most manual trans guys find the 5.44 ratio the best choice as they mainly use the 2.72 (stock non-Rubi JK ratio) for everything but slow speed obstacles or rock crawling (then use 5.44 ratio). The auto guys frequently use the 10.34 ratio as they will usually stick with the 2.72 ratio most of the time but use the 3.8 ratio in crawing.

What you need also changes with your motor. For me, my rig is hemi powered and I run various terrain but rarely do much rock crawling. The 3.0 2 speed has been a great choice for me. I've only wanted lower gears a handful of times and the motor is strong enough to provide power where you would normally need another gear if you ran a 3.8 motor. A smaller motor will need more gearing choices than a larger motor.

Installation comparison obviously favors the 2 speed but the 4 speed isn't much harder. I prefer the standard mechanical levers to the cable shifters. I like the 'feel' better as you can feel the gears engage and disengage easier.

The twin stick design of the Atlas is a huge advantage and is tough to beat. Once you've had it you'll never want to go back to a single stick design.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
This is a great question and is usually answered by how your Jeep is equipped and how you use it.

The area you wheel is the biggest factor. I going to assume by your location that most of the trails you run are dirt and you do little rock crawling. If this is accurate, the 3.8 ratio Atlas II will probably be fine for your use. I see you are running a manual trans. If you were running an auto, the 3.0 might be better for you. If you frequently do rocks, the 4.3 ratio is usually a good choice. Most users find the 5-1 ratio too low anything but hard core rocks.

Where the 4 speed Atlas really shines is for the user that frequents many different types of areas. In the sand or snow you may want a 2-1 or 2.7 ratio. Running wooded trails, 2.7-3.8 might be perfect. In rocky areas you might want 4.3 or even much deeper depending on the location. IMO, most manual trans guys find the 5.44 ratio the best choice as they mainly use the 2.72 (stock non-Rubi JK ratio) for everything but slow speed obstacles or rock crawling (then use 5.44 ratio). The auto guys frequently use the 10.34 ratio as they will usually stick with the 2.72 ratio most of the time but use the 3.8 ratio in crawing.

What you need also changes with your motor. For me, my rig is hemi powered and I run various terrain but rarely do much rock crawling. The 3.0 2 speed has been a great choice for me. I've only wanted lower gears a handful of times and the motor is strong enough to provide power where you would normally need another gear if you ran a 3.8 motor. A smaller motor will need more gearing choices than a larger motor.

Installation comparison obviously favors the 2 speed but the 4 speed isn't much harder. I prefer the standard mechanical levers to the cable shifters. I like the 'feel' better as you can feel the gears engage and disengage easier.

The twin stick design of the Atlas is a huge advantage and is tough to beat. Once you've had it you'll never want to go back to a single stick design.
thanks! this is great info. most of my wheeling is at Rausch creek. the whole place is a glacial deposit so there are a lot of rocks in the harder section. thats pretty much the only reason i want the atlas, for the rocky sections, i want a very deep ratio where the jeep won't be lunging when i dont want it to. the 5:1 sounds amazing, but like you said, it might be too low for the easier trails

Quick Reply: Atlas 2 and Atlas 4 (pros cons)