Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Auburn Ected vs Eaton Elocker for d30?

Old 10-14-2018, 09:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Auburn Ected vs Eaton Elocker for d30?

Got a '12 JKU automatic and I am trying to decide between Auburn Ected and Eaton. Pros? Cons? Opinions?
Old 10-14-2018, 11:07 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I really like the idea of the ected, just not the execution -the downside being that the 'limited slip' portion uses clutches instead of gears, and clutches have a habit of wearing out with use. Once worn down, you have to open up the axles to have the clutch packs replaced. Assuming you want the limited slip functionality to work, that is. The locker portion will still work fine with the push of a button either way. (are you sure you want to lock a D30?)

So I guess the question becomes, what is your usage? Do you need selectable lockers? Will you care if/when the limited slip stops functioning, as long as the lockers work? As an alternative, a pair of Detroit Truetracs (Eaton limited slip that uses helical gears) can be a great all-around way to go for those who don't regularly have tires in the air. And even then, a little brake pressure should be enough to give traction. Just depends on your use and expectations.

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-14-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is my "tske it easy" jeep (my XJ has detroits front and rear) and I want a locker just in case. Why see selectable? I sometimes visit snow plus it appears that with '12+ you cant do automatic lockers.

So I am looking to see if anyone has either and how they like it. Oh yeah... Not a fan of ARB as I dont want to deal with air.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had factory limited slip and specifically wanted open / locked because of snow. I haven't personally experienced any issues but in snow I've heard many people describe losing traction if the limited slip grabs.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't wheel rocks very often but my locked D30 on 35's is holding up quite well so far. I like being able to crawl up where others have to spin the tires. My ProRock 44 will be here tomorrow so I'm not saying I ever fully trusted it long term but it's been doing well the last few years wheeling and daily driving.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:53 AM
JK Freak

I have a 13 with truetracs front and rear and its great in the snow and sand. I have not had any issues and I am on 35s with 4.56 gears. I looked into the Auburn and they didnt have the best reviews. Also I didn't want to deal with clutch packs as my stock ones didnt last very long at all. As said before unless you plan to have tires in the air the truetrac limited slips are great and have zero issues with the 12+ traction control.

Quick Reply: Auburn Ected vs Eaton Elocker for d30?