Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which Axle Assembly

Old 11-27-2019, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
If buying an aftermarket axle to run big tires you should be buying a wider axle not one of these Chinese axles that are factory width. Call Fusion 4x4 or Dynatrac and have a proper axle built
Sounds expensive. I know you mentioned earlier for 35s you would recommend going 4in wider than stock. Seeing as though many of us are just talking about replacing the front axle, wouldn't going that route also require a rear axle replacement with that added width as well as new wheels with less back spacing to gain the reduced stress you mentioned?
Old 11-27-2019, 06:30 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

No, you would make up the rear width with adapters. You would be able to run the factory wheels with the wider axle and if moving to 37's would be in the cards then you would do new wheel with 4.5"-5.5" of back spacing. Then after running 37's and braking axle shafts when you upgrade the rear to a 60 (most are min 68") your front would match the rear.

You have to think down the road instead of buying the cheapest thing available right now or you make expensive mistakes.

And again I totally recommend against buying a 44 front for the front the uses the factory unit bearings. Either get a 60 or a 44/60 hybrid that has the 60 outers with lock out hubs and big brakes.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because it runs the stock knuckles, stock brakes and the BBK work just fine. I had stock brakes in it for a couple of months then installed the Mopar BBK that is currently on it now.

My combination is the Core 44, 4.56 gears {if I knew I was going to eventually be on 37's, I would have gone 4.88's), ARB and RCV axles. It was right at $5K when done. Mainly due to the RCV's.

Last edited by cranbiz; 11-27-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
If buying an aftermarket axle to run big tires you should be buying a wider axle not one of these Chinese axles that are factory width. Call Fusion 4x4 or Dynatrac and have a proper axle built
Nice

Quick Reply: Which Axle Assembly