Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axle help

Old 01-14-2013, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle help

I have a 2012 sport. And want lockers and was wondering if I can drop a rubicon front axle in. Help please
Old 01-14-2013, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The axle is a direct bolt in--but you will need your rear axle r&p to match the new front axle ratio. Also need a switch to activate the locker.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The front and rear d44 axles and its lockers from my 2010 rubicon now reside permantely in my 2012 sport It was bolt in just have to make some toggle switches for the locker controls
Old 01-14-2013, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Axle swaps

This would be a good time to evaluate a number of things such as do I want to run larger tires and/or do I need/want to change the gearing that came from the factory for more power etc.. If you are planning to also regear, I would suggest that instead of adding the expense of the lockers and regearing that you consider purchasing a set of axles that already have lockers and the gearing you would be looking for. Such axles can be found on this and other forums. If you change to Rubicon D44 front (and the same ratio Rubicon in the rear) you will also be upgrading in axle strength in both axles as well getting lockers and the gearing you want. I went this route. I have also purchased the Rubicon electronic disconnect swaybar, saved the cost of regearing while upgrading to Rubicon 4.88 front & rear, and in the process.also have lockers. A lot of axles that come up for sale are the 4.10 but other ratios are available such as when someone is upgrading to D60 or ProRock44 as was the case when I purchased mine.

Good luck

KG6SLC aka Eugene
Old 01-14-2013, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow thanks that's alot of good info. I have 33" tires and I'm running 3.21 gear ratio I think. The axles are alot of money. Any other suggestions.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KG6SLC
This would be a good time to evaluate a number of things such as do I want to run larger tires and/or do I need/want to change the gearing that came from the factory for more power etc.. If you are planning to also regear, I would suggest that instead of adding the expense of the lockers and regearing that you consider purchasing a set of axles that already have lockers and the gearing you would be looking for. Such axles can be found on this and other forums. If you change to Rubicon D44 front (and the same ratio Rubicon in the rear) you will also be upgrading in axle strength in both axles as well getting lockers and the gearing you want. I went this route. I have also purchased the Rubicon electronic disconnect swaybar, saved the cost of regearing while upgrading to Rubicon 4.88 front & rear, and in the process.also have lockers. A lot of axles that come up for sale are the 4.10 but other ratios are available such as when someone is upgrading to D60 or ProRock44 as was the case when I purchased mine.

Good luck

KG6SLC aka Eugene
What is ur rpm at on the freeway. This is my dd and I want more torque. But still want it to be drive able

Quick Reply: Axle help