Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

axle help!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axle help!

So I pulled my axles today and there are two grey plastic rings that were at the end. I have read a couple write ups on changing axles but none of them mention these rings. They are a little beat up. What are they?
Old 02-28-2009, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I swapped those over to my new fronts when I changed them. I think they are pebble/stone caps to try to keep that junk out of the axle tubes. They aren't tight enough to be dust caps. I figured that Jeep put them on for SOME reason so I moved 'em to the Alloy USA's
Old 02-28-2009, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you are talking about the rings that look like washers they are there to center the axel when it is installed at the factory so it doesn't mess up the seals
Old 02-28-2009, 05:49 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Eugene
If you are talking about the rings that look like washers they are there to center the axel when it is installed at the factory so it doesn't mess up the seals
Yes. In the parts book, they are called "Guide, Axle Shaft". They are just outboard of the seals.
Part number 68017185AA

Quick Reply: axle help!