Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axle sleeved and C-gussets done....

Old 04-24-2017, 06:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle sleeved and C-gussets done....

Just had the axle sleeved and C-Gussets done (and HD ball joints).... I did not however do the front truss for my JKU Dana 30. I'm gonna be doing some light wheeling for this year, nothing crazy or above green/blue trails... should I just spend the 125 plus labor to do it? Or is it truly "overkill" for my application. Thanks in advance.... I just added a pic because the shop did a great clean job which I'm very happy about.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2477.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	670864  
Old 04-24-2017, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You've got 37's on your 30 and you plan on green/ blue trails? Yes- overkill.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bad.. should have been more specific... starting off with the easy... lol. It's my DD for now... Then progressing toward the more difficult trails hopefully this year or next as I add on more crap/parts, to include a front axle upgrade in the future. But if I don't get to the newer axle when I plan on it... I figured the price of a truss is minimal for peace of mind/insurance. Just wanted to know if it's even worth it for the harder trails, or if I'm good.

Last edited by Nav60; 04-24-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either way u look at it difficult trails with 37's on a 30 is very risky even with a Truss. Your ring and pinion are just too week for that amount of stress. Be prepared to break your gears

Northridge 4x4
Old 04-25-2017, 04:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I ran an Artec truss on my D30 for added peace of mind knowing that I will not have a catastrophic axle housing failure on the trail. Besides you can get some of your money back when you sell it. After I picked up on Spicer Ultimate 44 I was able to sell my D30 trussed, gusseted, 5.13 and Aussie locker for $1000. That was here in Texas, though.

It does not hurt to have added protection.

R/
Will
Old 04-25-2017, 04:57 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Nav60
My bad.. should have been more specific... starting off with the easy... lol. It's my DD for now... Then progressing toward the more difficult trails hopefully this year or next as I add on more crap/parts, to include a front axle upgrade in the future. But if I don't get to the newer axle when I plan on it... I figured the price of a truss is minimal for peace of mind/insurance. Just wanted to know if it's even worth it for the harder trails, or if I'm good.
Unless you're welding it yourself, don't forget that the truss might only cost $125, but the labor is typically $500 - $600. That makes a truss more like a $700 upgrade for most people. If you're going to start wheeling with the intent to get a bit more aggressive in the following years, I think you'll find the money is better saved for some sort of axle upgrade in the future. If you're just doing light things for now, you'll be ok on your 37s with gussets for a while. You just need to keep in mind the weaknesses of your axle and use your head. It doesn't sound like you're gonna be out bouncing off rocks at the moment though. You'd probably be surprised what you can go out and do with your D30......but again, use some common sense.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:05 PM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nav60
Just had the axle sleeved and C-Gussets done (and HD ball joints).... I did not however do the front truss for my JKU Dana 30. I'm gonna be doing some light wheeling for this year, nothing crazy or above green/blue trails... should I just spend the 125 plus labor to do it? Or is it truly "overkill" for my application. Thanks in advance.... I just added a pic because the shop did a great clean job which I'm very happy about.
There is a lot of misconception about the Dana 30. It's a great axle for what it is, we just ask a lot of it. I say spend a little money on it in the right places and RUN IT! Don't fear the Dana 30, besides I have like, 3 of em sitting around the shop. For the price of an upgrade, I can build you two Dana 30s!

I wouldn't have even bothered sleeving it (although it does help), but the C Gussets and HD Balljoints were winners. Don't bother with the truss, you've done what you can, trusses work but it's a diminishing return on your investment from here.

That Dana 30 should hold up to whatever you throw at it so long as you keep your tire size moderate and do the right mods. Stick to a 35, keep the pinion bigger and stronger by doing a 4.88 or higher, and don't invest in chromo shafts. Keep the factory shafts in there as a fuse, you want them to break before your gears. Go to a junk yard and grab a trail spare and carry on. Throw a Detroit TrueTrac in the front. Call it a day.

Enjoy the Jeep you have! Be mindful of the skinny pedal and go wheeling. That Dana 30 can get you through the baddest trails your JK can fit through with a little know how.

Last edited by Trail Jeeps; 04-26-2017 at 12:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Axle sleeved and C-gussets done....