Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad brakes

Old 08-29-2018, 08:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad brakes

I have always had a very low brake pedal & a very hard time stopping my jeep. I purchased it new in 2012 & it is a 2012 wrangler sport 2 dr. But the brakes have been my # 1 problem since day 1. I have changed everything & had stuff done under warranty also but no success. Just getting worse you couldn't come to a fast stop if you needed too. Is this a common problem with jeeps. I have even put new discs & pads I have no leaks anywhere the dealer did a new master when under warranty but just no stopping power what`s so ever. any help or thoughts would be great
Old 08-30-2018, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Let's just run through a couple things and see if any of them are helpful. Your fluid is topped off with fresh fluid, right? Stainless steel lines instead of the rubber? No leaks in the system? ABS module bled? Tire size and what brake rotors/ pad combo did you add? No vacuum leaks on the motor....though you have the vacuum assist module behind the bumper.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I have a 2012 Jku I bought new. My brakes are fine. I replaced front and rear at 70,000 miles. Rears where barely there but fronts could have gone another 10-20k. I have had no brakes issues. I've kept everything stock. I've been following this forum for 6.5 years. I don't recall a rash of brake issues other than rear brake pads wearing down unexpectedly quickly.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Hi !
Thanks for getting back with me on this issue. I have no modes everything is OEM parts. Fluid is full with OEM brake fluid no steel lines just stock, no leaks anywhere not a drop of fluid on any part of the brake parts, calipers ,lines, pads, ground or master cylinder and surrounding areas. master was changed by dealer & bled by same I cant say for sure if they did the abs system 1 would think so they are doing the work. I have no idea of how you do a manual bled on the abs system itself. That is the only thing I keep asking & thinking it could be the only area I can`t confirm. The calipers themselves have no air in them from double cking them myself. OEM tires & rims that came on it from jeep no vacuum leaks that I can find hear or feel. yes the pump is behind the bumper. If the pump wasn't working shouldn`t that show some type of code or do you have a way that you can ck it yourself ? My brother & cousin have a jeep wrangler unlimited 4dr both 2016 & no problems there ether. That's why its such problem you drive there`s & it`s a big difference. This is why I ? the ABS bleeding part of the hole problem.I have heard people say that even if everything is fine & done correctly you can still have a soft or low pedal if the ABS system was never bled or looked @ as a bad part or a blocked line with ether air or just not working. This is why I was looking around for a good site to get some info or background from. I have no other issue with the jeep or my family`s jeeps & the older 1 I had it was great we even bought a new Cherokee because of there reliability & quality. The dealer just keeps saying no problem every jeep is a little different ! I never had a problem before with brakes & wouldn`t of known of ABS bleeding done on its owen
Thank You Both for your response & time
Stephen
Old 08-30-2018, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen E Powers
I have always had a very low brake pedal
That's a typical sign that there is air in the brake lines.

I would take it to another dealer or a brake shop and have them bleed the lines. Dealerships often don't have the best techs to properly diagnose. If your pedal is low and/or takes an extended press of the pedal so the pedal is close to the floor before the brakes engage, that indicates air in the system.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-30-2018 at 05:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Stephen E Powers (09-03-2018)

Quick Reply: bad brakes