Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bad Ride...What do I need to do?

Old 08-13-2008, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Ride...What do I need to do?

Okay guys & gals, need your help. Here's the background information. I had a 2" Daystar budget boost lift with 35's put on my Jeep almost a year ago. The ride was terrible when I got it back. If I hit a bump it felt like my teeth were going to come out of my head. Talked to some people and we looked under the front end. Sure enough they installed bumpstops but didn't trim them, so I was getting NO shock absorber use at all. So I got a sawzaw(probably spelled it wrong) and trimmed them down myself. The ride after that was better, but only SLIGHTLY. I have a real bad taste in my mouth about the whole deal. I don't really want to spend the cash on a suspension lift just yet. Is there another option? Do you think some different shocks would ease my pain. Anyone with advice or experience with this same problem...please respond to this post. I am sooo frustrated!
Old 08-13-2008, 08:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Fishin'jeep
Okay guys & gals, need your help. Here's the background information. I had a 2" Daystar budget boost lift with 35's put on my Jeep almost a year ago. The ride was terrible when I got it back. If I hit a bump it felt like my teeth were going to come out of my head. Talked to some people and we looked under the front end. Sure enough they installed bumpstops but didn't trim them, so I was getting NO shock absorber use at all. So I got a sawzaw(probably spelled it wrong) and trimmed them down myself. The ride after that was better, but only SLIGHTLY. I have a real bad taste in my mouth about the whole deal. I don't really want to spend the cash on a suspension lift just yet. Is there another option? Do you think some different shocks would ease my pain. Anyone with advice or experience with this same problem...please respond to this post. I am sooo frustrated!
okay, well for starters i know this sounds dumb, but whats your air pressure at, the stock rubi tires take 37 psi, WAY TOO MUCH for my 35s i run now, so i keep them around 32, much much better. Second, are you sure you trimmed enough of the bumpstops off? a 2" lift, especially a budget boost shouldn't be that horrible of a ride, next, did they replace the shocks with the lift, or use shock extensions or did they just keep the stock shocks the way they are. if they replaced the shocks they might just be too stiff for your liking, if they kept the stock shocks with no extensions, that might have something to do with it. Better shocks will make a difference, if you decide to go that route, order a set of 2.2 shocks from Rough Country, they are a forum sponsor, i beleive they offer a forum discount, and the 2.2 shocks i'm running ride great, even with 4 inches of lift. Good luck
Old 08-13-2008, 09:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yellowjeeper85
okay, well for starters i know this sounds dumb, but whats your air pressure at, the stock rubi tires take 37 psi, WAY TOO MUCH for my 35s i run now, so i keep them around 32, much much better. Second, are you sure you trimmed enough of the bumpstops off? a 2" lift, especially a budget boost shouldn't be that horrible of a ride, next, did they replace the shocks with the lift, or use shock extensions or did they just keep the stock shocks the way they are. if they replaced the shocks they might just be too stiff for your liking, if they kept the stock shocks with no extensions, that might have something to do with it. Better shocks will make a difference, if you decide to go that route, order a set of 2.2 shocks from Rough Country, they are a forum sponsor, i beleive they offer a forum discount, and the 2.2 shocks i'm running ride great, even with 4 inches of lift. Good luck
Tire psi is good, I run 30 front, 28 rear. No the bumstops probably aren't trimmed enough but I took as much off as I could with them installed, cutting in between the springs. The rear is not as bad as the front, of course I'm not sitting back there-it may be just as bad. Yes I kept the OEM shocks. Looks like you answered my next question as well. I wanted to know if there was an upgrade shock that I could purchase that would work with my BB lift and also be okay in a few months to use with a 3 or 4 inch suspension lift. Thank you. Now later when I put the suspension lift on I just trash the BB spacers right. You can't use both at the same time can you?
Old 08-13-2008, 09:17 PM
JK Freak

you can use both, but that would put you into new driveshaft territory. I would get a 3" with 35's like I am gonna do and call it a day.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cyberbrain
you can use both, but that would put you into new driveshaft territory. I would get a 3" with 35's like I am gonna do and call it a day.
I'm running a 4" and 3/4" spacers in the front, and my front driveshaft didn't last very long at all.... 3" lift should keep you from having to buy a new driveshaft. If its and unlimited, you can lift the rear quite a bit before you need one back there since its nice and long. either way, a 3" lift and 35's is a good look, and will keep you from the added expense of driveshafts.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yellowjeeper85
Second, are you sure you trimmed enough of the bumpstops off? a 2" lift, especially a budget boost shouldn't be that horrible of a ride, next, did they replace the shocks with the lift, or use shock extensions or did they just keep the stock shocks the way they are.
So when I get the shocks put on, I think I'll have them trim the bump stops...How much clearance do you have between your bumpstop & your coil mount? That way I won't have them cut too much.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Fishin'jeep
So when I get the shocks put on, I think I'll have them trim the bump stops...How much clearance do you have between your bumpstop & your coil mount? That way I won't have them cut too much.

Actually, my favorite part about the 2.2 shocks, is that the bumpstop is built right in. There is actually this big rubber bumpstop thingy on the piston rod on the shock that takes the roll of the bumpstop on the jeep. SO, in my case, i'm running the stock bumpstops just because i never took them out, but in all actuality, you can take the out and let the shock's bumpstops do all the work
Old 08-13-2008, 10:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

NICE Okay, I looked on the Rough Country website and they only mention the 2.2 performance shock as part of a lift package. I can't find just the shock. Oh, well i'll call in the morning or do a search and send the Rough Country rep a PM. Thanks again for all of your help!

Quick Reply: Bad Ride...What do I need to do?