Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bad tie rod?

Old 05-03-2011, 10:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad tie rod?

Idk what happened but I was driving and when I get up to +43mph, it seems I'm getting death wobble? I called My buddy says he doesn't think it's death wobble but idk? I looked underneath my jeep and checked to see if anything was loose and there is a lot of play with my tie rod? (I think it's my tie rod). I've only had the lift for about 5k miles. I swear I have the worst freaking luck.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:48 AM
JK Freak

I wish there was a way I could take a video so I can post it
Old 05-03-2011, 10:49 AM
JK Freak

Your tie rod has a vertical movement to it...it it shakes without hitting a bump then it sounds like a tire balancing issue...
Old 05-03-2011, 10:53 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy072288
Idk what happened but I was driving and when I get up to +43mph, it seems I'm getting death wobble? I called My buddy says he doesn't think it's death wobble but idk? I looked underneath my jeep and checked to see if anything was loose and there is a lot of play with my tie rod? (I think it's my tie rod). I've only had the lift for about 5k miles. I swear I have the worst freaking luck.
movement in your TRE's is totally normal so long as it's just rotational. if there's movement up and down or side to side, they are bad but, i really doubt that would be the case for you. as mentioned, your tires most likely need to be balanced
Old 05-03-2011, 01:18 PM
JK Freak

Ok so I just left a tire shop that does alignment. It's not my tires, it's the bushings in the tie rod and trac bar is this a common problem of them going bad?! I'm getting sick and tired of my Fucking jeep I hate it and love it. In the past week I've spent 700+ in repairs that shoulda been covered under warranty! And how much would it be to fix?
Old 05-03-2011, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I keep this image saved in my phone to help me properly recognize all my front end parts. Save this image and do the same hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3201759266.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	156611  
Old 05-03-2011, 05:09 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy072288
Ok so I just left a tire shop that does alignment. It's not my tires, it's the bushings in the tie rod and trac bar is this a common problem of them going bad?! I'm getting sick and tired of my Fucking jeep I hate it and love it. In the past week I've spent 700+ in repairs that shoulda been covered under warranty! And how much would it be to fix?
i don't know man, a speed related shimmy is almost always a tire balancing problem and, big off road tires can be hard to balance. if you really have a bad bushing in your track bar, you would have severe death wobble and trust me, there would be no question about it. essentially, your whole jeep would shake so violently that you feel like it's going to tear apart and the only way to make it stop is to bring your jeep to a stop. but hey, what do i know.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:16 PM
JK Super Freak

As previously stated it is most likely a tire imbalance issue. This is very common and if you are running large tires get used to this happening from time to time. The larger the tire the more you will feel the shake, vibration. Drive by semi trailer on the road and take a look as some of the rear tires. Those damn things are sometimes so imbalanced they are literally bouncing off the road. if that tire is on the front of the vehicle, it will cause you to bounce out of your seat. Find someone who has a hunter machine or can balace with the tires still on the vehicle.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default made the same mistake

I brought it by a tire shop and they said the tie rod had gone bad and that it needed to be replaced. luckily I came and read planman's thread on diagnosing death wobble and it saved me a ton. They wanted to charge me 550 to replace a tie rod because of the movement, the same movement you are seeing. I stopped by a Jeep dealership to "check out" a few and just reached under and tried to move the tie rod..of course they moved.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Double check the torque on the track bar. If it's loose, that would for sure create a wobble. (Dont ask me how I know)
Did your lift come with a new track bar or relocation bracket? Just curious.

Quick Reply: Bad tie rod?