Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

balance beads & vibration question

Old 05-29-2018, 04:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default balance beads & vibration question

I just lifted my '15 JKUR and put 35" Discoverer STT Pros on it. The shop used balance beads, but they left the old weights on too. At 50-55 mph I get a slight steering shimmy. I'm thinking I should pop those weights off? I read on the one bead manufacturer's website that you don't use both beads and weights. Agree??
Old 05-29-2018, 07:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Yes, loose the weights.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

They left the weights? Odd. Like Dirtman said, ditch the weights. I prefer a traditional balance over the beads, but it's one or the other in this situation.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Removing them didn't help much...so I swapped the right front with the right rear and its much better...at least on the one test drive I took. I wonder if they didn't use enough beads?
Old 05-31-2018, 05:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BoraBora
They left the weights? Odd. Like Dirtman said, ditch the weights. I prefer a traditional balance over the beads, but it's one or the other in this situation.
I agree. I just think that if the balancing beads/compounds were better everyone would be using them. I believe that if you start with a quality tire, you shouldn't have any issue with traditional stick on weights.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Follow-up: I was still getting a shimmy at speed...had the shop confirm with their supplier/tire guru/whatever that they used the correct amount of beads...answer was yes. I had them remove the beads and use weights...all is right with the world. From what I read and from talking to the mechanics...beads are hit and miss. Weights still work.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by TSLtrek
Follow-up: I was still getting a shimmy at speed...had the shop confirm with their supplier/tire guru/whatever that they used the correct amount of beads...answer was yes. I had them remove the beads and use weights...all is right with the world. From what I read and from talking to the mechanics...beads are hit and miss. Weights still work.
Y, at least good ole stick on weights are tried and true. Read so many issues with beads. It's so much easier to rebalance with something on the outside of the wheel than it is jacking with crap inside it. I think it just becomes a stickier topic when you move away from a traditional wheel to a beadlock, cuz shops don't want to balance beadlocks.....so people start searching for other methods.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Y, at least good ole stick on weights are tried and true. Read so many issues with beads. It's so much easier to rebalance with something on the outside of the wheel than it is jacking with crap inside it. I think it just becomes a stickier topic when you move away from a traditional wheel to a beadlock, cuz shops don't want to balance beadlocks.....so people start searching for other methods.
^, I'm not looking for ANY reasons to break apart these wheels before I have to. I'm sticking to my current approach, "Beadlocks? These? Pft, don't be crazy man. These are simulation beadlocks, look up Method 305's on your phone. Sticky weights, please and thank you. I'll be waiting across the street at Snowflakes Starbucks."

Last edited by BoraBora; 06-15-2018 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by BoraBora
^, I'm not looking for ANY reasons to break apart these wheels before I have to. I'm sticking to my current approach, "Beadlocks? These? Pft, don't be crazy man. These are simulation beadlocks, look up Method 305's on your phone. Sticky weights, please and thank you. I'll be waiting across the street at Snowflakes Starbucks."
LOL. Mine were a breeze. Will say I've got several hundred miles on em now......no hint of needing balanced at all. I'm quite impressed with that aspect so far.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I took my beadlocks straight into the tire store and had them balanced under my "lifetime of the tire" balance plan. They didn't ask any questions and I didn't volunteer any information. The only thing the guy said after balancing them was, "Whoever mounted these wasn't too good with a balancer, they didn't have ANY weights on them, must've been an interesting ride in". I don't think it's the balancing they dislike, it's the labor that goes into moving the tire around on the bead if it doesn't balance nicely.

Quick Reply: balance beads & vibration question