Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Banks Turbo Install on a 2011 JK Unlimited

Old 09-03-2015, 01:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cost for the lift is a 3.5 Rubicon express short arm full kit, new front driveshaft, labor to install and align. I wasn't the first to have the system installed on. ..but I was the first with stock suspension. I did get 500 off the cost to let them keep it for the initial 2 weeks
I am running full Metal cloak armor and only use this jeep to trail ride. Running 37's gives me the extra ground clearance I wanted.
I have an 04 TJ that I use for having fun and beating on. My girlfriend drives this jeep every day and wanted it to retain the stock ride and keep a LCG.

Last edited by BigBlake; 09-04-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Evo Double throwdown is about 12K before labor and driveshafts. Evo Double D pro is well over 6K before labor and driveshafts.

I could not hardly go offroad at all with a 2 inch AEV lift and 35's.

Why go 37's and cant take it offroad? Looks alone?
Old 09-03-2015, 04:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigBlake
The cost for the lift is a 3.5 Rubicon express short arm full kit, new front driveshaft, labor to install and align. I wasn't the first to have the system installed on. ..but I was the first with stock suspension. I did get 500 off the cost to let them keep it for the initial 2 weeks
I am running full Metal cloak system and only use this jeep to trail ride. Running 37's gives me the extra ground clearance I wanted.
I have an 04 TJ that I use for having fun and beating on. My girlfriend drives this jeep every day and wanted it to retain the stock ride and keep a LCG.
Could have went metalcloak for that price and had a much better system. I'm curious what you have for axles since your running 37s and don't half ass anything on your jeep.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RubiBus
IMHO, they should've given you a pretty decent discount for being their "guinea pig" if they've never installed their kit on a stock Jeep. But hey that's me. At least they're offering to help pay for the lift, hwich they should.

I'm curious, too, though....what lift did you order that's costing you $3300? Evo Double Throw Down? Something that uses coilover up front? Even with full long arms, etc., most good kits run under $3000 including shocks, etc. Also curious how you're running 37's on stock suspension. Pics?
I agree! This is crazy to use a customer as a 1st Guinea pig and not even give them a clue they are doing it and charging them the full bill. Sounds like Banks needs Roy D. Mercer to come over there and pour a 55 gal drum of whup azz on him.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:51 AM
JK Freak

I am running full Metal cloak system and only use this jeep to trail ride. Running 37's gives me the extra ground clearance I wanted.
This post doesn't make any sense. First you said you're running stock suspension, or at least were when Banks installed the turbo kit. Next you say you're running a full Metalcloak system. Obvoiusly not stock suspension. And then $3300 for an RE short arm? Could've installed all of that yourself in your garage, including control arms, drive shaft, etc. nad saved a few pennies.

So what's currently installed on your Jeep? Stock suspension or Metalcloak? Without some serious cutting, I don't think it's possible to run 37's on stock suspension.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Could have went metalcloak for that price and had a much better system. I'm curious what you have for axles since your running 37s and don't half ass anything on your jeep.
I looked at the metal cloak lift and I love what they make. I went with the rubicon express lift due to Mike Barnett's (owner of jeepspeed) recommendation for my set up. I have the metal cloak fenders front and rear, rock rails, corner armor on BOTH of my jeeps. You dont need to sell me on metal cloak, I am a customer of theirs for life. Everything is personal choice. my axles are stock on the JK and they will be until the need arises to upgrade them. I dont put this jeep through anything harsh, like I said this rig is for trail riding NOT rock crawling. I have other vehicles for that. I was trying to say that I was not going to accept a 2inch coil spacer kit as a suitable fix. A coil spacer kit is a cheap alternative to a real kit, and thats fine if that is what you want on YOUR rig. I'm not here to fight and bicker with anyone, guess that comes with the territory of forums. Everyone has their own opinions.... I was simply trying to let everyone one know what kind of experience I have had with this system from banks. Next time I will keep it to myself and not help anyone out. why didnt you go with the metal cloak lift? or fenders for that matter?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	11406795_10206802128882260_2945339296915069383_n.jpg
Views:	931
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	623767   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150711_175147.jpg
Views:	1018
Size:	4.29 MB
ID:	623768  
Old 09-04-2015, 09:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RubiBus
This post doesn't make any sense. First you said you're running stock suspension, or at least were when Banks installed the turbo kit. Next you say you're running a full Metalcloak system. Obvoiusly not stock suspension. And then $3300 for an RE short arm? Could've installed all of that yourself in your garage, including control arms, drive shaft, etc. nad saved a few pennies.

So what's currently installed on your Jeep? Stock suspension or Metalcloak? Without some serious cutting, I don't think it's possible to run 37's on stock suspension.
I have full metal cloak armor. sorry for the confusion. I am running 37's on stock suspension and yes I did cut a few inches of body in front of the back tire. I have NO issues with the ride of the jeep as it is a TRAIL jeep. I dont have time right now to do the work on the jeep. I have done everything else on both jeeps....right now I am slammed busy and didnt have the time. To pay someone else versus my time it is well worth it.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tree Frog
Evo Double throwdown is about 12K before labor and driveshafts. Evo Double D pro is well over 6K before labor and driveshafts.

I can go offroad, see photos. I dont need crazy flex on this jeep as I dont take it through the hard stuff. Just use this jeep for trail riding, hitting the dirt roads to go to the river, etc. My TJ is smaller and narrower so I use that for the fun stuff. Metal cloak fenders help give you the clearance needed for bigger tires that I wanted for ground clearance. A lift would not help with ground clearance. It may not be for everyone but it works for me. Building the JK has been a slow steady process and we have done what was needed and wanted first. audio is done, tires done, bumpers done, winch done, fenders done, now lift will be done and the turbo kit. next will be front runner roof rack, then axles and lockers.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:33 AM
JK Junkie

I looked at the metal cloak lift and I love what they make. I went with the rubicon express lift due to Mike Barnett's (owner of jeepspeed) recommendation for my set up. I have the metal cloak fenders front and rear, rock rails, corner armor on BOTH of my jeeps. You dont need to sell me on metal cloak, I am a customer of theirs for life. Everything is personal choice. my axles are stock on the JK and they will be until the need arises to upgrade them. I dont put this jeep through anything harsh, like I said this rig is for trail riding NOT rock crawling. I have other vehicles for that. I was trying to say that I was not going to accept a 2inch coil spacer kit as a suitable fix. A coil spacer kit is a cheap alternative to a real kit, and thats fine if that is what you want on YOUR rig. I'm not here to fight and bicker with anyone, guess that comes with the territory of forums. Everyone has their own opinions.... I was simply trying to let everyone one know what kind of experience I have had with this system from banks. Next time I will keep it to myself and not help anyone out. why didnt you go with the metal cloak lift? or fenders for that matter?
I wasn't bickering or arguing. I was actually curious as to what axles you were running as you said you don't do anything half ass on your jeep and your running 37s so I would naturally assume that you weren't running stock crap axles as that is most definitely half assing. And RE is not really that great either so I was curious again since you were running so much metalcloak stuff why you just didn't go metalcloak. You could have gotten a 3.5" kit from them, had a better ride, better quality and product overall for about the same price. All you really need is the front lower arms to correct some caster and maybe some rear uppers to adjust the pinion angle. And as a matter of fact my lift consisted of RK, Metalcloak, and fox of which all are great brands. Sorry I struck a nerve.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Tree Frog

I don't understand how you can't go offroad with this setup. I wheeled my Jeep plenty in stock form before I ever added the lift and tires. There's not too much my Jeep can do now that it couldn't when it was stock to be honest. I obviously don't beat the hell outta' the skid plates as much, but there are only a handful of trails where I normally go that I wouldn't try in a stock Jeep. So you can barely offroad with a 2" lift and 35's? Sounds like you need to hone your driving skills a little more.

OP....thanks for clearing up the Metal Cloak/stock suspension thing. Makes a lot more sense now; although, I'm sure your Jeep actually sits a tad lower because of the additional weight from the armor, etc. But 37's do wonders for ground clearance! I'm only on a 2.5" RK lift, but with my 37's, there's not a trail/obstacle I haven't been able to overcome. Truth be told, I think my Jeep is more capable than my balls allow me to be.

I'm impressed that you fit 37's on stock suspension, though. LCG like a boss!

Quick Reply: Banks Turbo Install on a 2011 JK Unlimited