Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beat coating for new bumper?

Old 01-18-2016, 05:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Beat coating for new bumper?

Just ordered a Poison Spyder Brawler Lite front bumper. Question is, what is everyone having success with, as far as coatings?
I like women, so I don't need anything shiny or pretty to impress the mall crowd.
I want something with a slight texture and flat finish to protect it and give a fair amount of traction when I need to stand on it.
Let me know what you guys are using!!
Old 01-18-2016, 06:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on your description of what you are after, sounds like some sort of truck bed lining is in order, i.e. RhinoLining or the like.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:17 PM
JK Junkie

I've used Rustoleum bed liner with good success. It only has a slight texture and makes for easy touch-ups.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Yeah I'm thinking some type of bed liner or sealant. I know some products are superior to others, but I have no experience with any of them.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

The way I did my bumper:
Wash the bare metal with a scotch brite pad and rubbing alcohol
4 coats of Self Etching primer
4 coats of regular flat black paint on the inside of the bumper
4 coats of Duplicolor Truck Bed Coating

Bumper looks great 8 months later. Only suggestion would be to hit the d-ring tabs first/with extra bedliner. After a few winch pulls the coating is peeling.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BoraBora
The way I did my bumper:
Wash the bare metal with a scotch brite pad and rubbing alcohol
4 coats of Self Etching primer
4 coats of regular flat black paint on the inside of the bumper
4 coats of Duplicolor Truck Bed Coating

Bumper looks great 8 months later. Only suggestion would be to hit the d-ring tabs first/with extra bedliner. After a few winch pulls the coating is peeling.
I did the same process as BoraBora with equal success. Super easy, and looks great. Has held up through its first winter just fine so far.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

I did the bedliner as well. It's been holding good for the last 2 years. I did rip the coating in the inside when I was installing it over the frame. I'm not sure it would hold if I was to do rock crawling and banging it on rocks. For the way I use it it's holding fine.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since no coating will "hold" when you use the bumper to guide you onto a rock, I like the idea expressed on multiple replies above to use a final top coat of some form of spray on bed liner. You absolutely will need to touch up after hard wheeling. I'm not real picky, I have factory textured powder coat bumpers and touch up with Rustoleum (or similar) bed liner or VHT chassis spray. Basically, anything I have handy that is semi-gloss or flat black. If you look close, you can see the changes, but I really don't care. My bumpers serve the purpose well and get used for what steel bumpers were meant for. If I were doing a Jeep for my wife, I would haul them to a powder coater and get a nice textured finish. For my use, that's a waste of money. So just decide what you think you will do with/to them, and go from there. If you go the powder coat way, have them do 2 coats. Otherwise, you may develop rust spotting if you live in a snow/salt region.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:19 AM
JK Newbie

I haven't done a bumper, but I had the bed of my Ram 2500 sprayed with LineX ten years ago and it is still in fine shape - and it has taken a beating hauling all sorts of stuff. I don't think I could remove it if I wanted to. The only downside is that you have to have it done by a dealer - no home kits.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did u-pol raptor liner on my jcr bumpers - has held up great thus far; and has been easier to clean than the dupli-color bed liner I've used in the past (had a tough time getting the brown color out after run in's with mud).

Cleaned with SEM Solve, scuff/sand, cleaned again, two light coats of self etch primer, then one very light coat of raptor liner followed by two full coats.

You can get a lighter texture than I did by spraying at a higher PSI.

Quick Reply: Beat coating for new bumper?