Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

bent tie rod causing wobble?

Old 05-05-2011, 11:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bent tie rod causing wobble?

got a good wobble on my JK this morning going to work. It was not DW since all I had to do was slow down very slightly and it went away. Was going 35 mph, slowed to 25 mph and it stopped. II had DW before and that was some crazy violent shit. This felt like the very begining of DW but didnt get bad. It is also not a tire balance issue. I know what that feels like and I have a contacnt tire shimmy at 45 mph and I am used to that. This was something else. I checked lower control arms and track bar, all torque to factory spec.

I did bend my tierod inwards at rausch lasat month fairly badly, comes into contact with ARB cover at full turn. Could this cause a bad wobble? May be my toe is messed up with bent tie rod. Can I bend this out or shuold I replace?
Old 05-05-2011, 11:28 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you bent your tierod, your toe is outta whack period, depending on how bad it's bent, you can adjust your toe back to spec though.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by planman
If it is bent so badly that it comes into contact with the diff cover on a full lock turn, I would replace the tie rod asap.

In the meantime, adjust your toe setting before you badly feather/damage your tires.
Ok, I will mess with it this weekend and replace when I can. What are the consequences of running it bent if I adjust toe in properly? Not saying I am going to do it forever, money is tight now.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Olean NY Jeeper
Ok, I will mess with it this weekend and replace when I can. What are the consequences of running it bent if I adjust toe in properly? Not saying I am going to do it forever, money is tight now.
You'll be fine.

Quick Reply: bent tie rod causing wobble?