Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best Affordable Winch ?

Old 01-01-2015, 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Todd
yes I know how to disengage the winch. Maybe with 3 guys pulling on cable you might free wheel it. And yes it stalls out the motor way too quick. Also gets hot just reeling cable up. Stuck in a snow drift last week, no problem, lets just winch out. Winch could not single line pull my JK out. Not enough cable and straps to use shive block, so I shoveled. Very disappointed in this winch.
Hate to hear you're having issues with this winch. I also run the XRC 9.5 gen 2 and have yet to have a problem with it. I have been able to free spool it just fine so far by myself. From what I've found you either get a good one or a bad one when it comes to this winch.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ben Todd
yes I know how to disengage the winch. Maybe with 3 guys pulling on cable you might free wheel it. And yes it stalls out the motor way too quick. Also gets hot just reeling cable up. Stuck in a snow drift last week, no problem, lets just winch out. Winch could not single line pull my JK out. Not enough cable and straps to use shive block, so I shoveled. Very disappointed in this winch.

Def sounds like it is a problem with your winch. Try filing warranty/ they are lifetime mechanical/3 year electrical. Mine has served great
Old 01-06-2015, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would read 2 articles on the Expedition Portal page that really helped me decide what to get. Here are the links, the first is a review of 12k winches, but they discuss what you need and why, and the second is all about how to use what you have the right way. It may help you decide what you may need in the future based on what you're getting into.

http://expeditionportal.com/tug-of-w...2v-winch-test/

http://expeditionportal.com/winching...eview_id=24854

As for me, I just purchased an old Warn 8274 that I'm planning on doing a rebuild on. Spent $300 on the winch, another 150 on syn line and a fairlead. Biggest downside so far is mounting it. It's going to have to be at least part custom unless I want to switch to a warn bumper as well. There are a ton of write ups and videos on rebuilding it and upgrading it though. Can't wait to get her going!
Old 01-10-2015, 07:08 PM
JK Super Freak

I have had my smitty for six years with over 40 pulls and still works like a champ. I would by them again.

Last edited by 2climbbig; 01-12-2015 at 05:38 PM. Reason: fixed the font
Old 01-12-2015, 09:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
I have had my smitty for six years with over 40 pulls and still works like a champ. I would by them again.
Which Smitty do you have?
Old 01-12-2015, 10:41 PM
JK Newbie

I'll second smitty. I have the xrc10 and love it. Had it about 5 years now with no issues. Used it probably 30-40 times including once when I had to rip out 3 small trees in the backyard. I wheel mostly in the pine barrens where the winch is routinely completely submerged in muddy water. About a year after I had it, I put a huge kink in the steel cable because I was a doofus. Replaced it with smittys 10k synthetic line and never going back to steel again.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:14 AM
JK Super Freak

I have the XRC 8500. On a hunting trip 3 years ago, I pulled out a Chevy 2500 that was sitting up to its frame in mud. My Smitty pulled that chevy 50 feet without blinking an eye. Very happy with it. Best part is I have the life time warranty so should it ever crap out, I get a new one for free.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:09 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no clue if this is true but i was told Harbor freight may soon be offering a lifetime warranty on there winches. They're cheap as hell and ive seen guys us the crap out of them. Any winch that fails when you need it will suck though...

I personally have a smitty and its held up fine so far.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Engo 9000......

Quick Reply: Best Affordable Winch ?