Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Which Would You Do?
Leave It Alone
20.83%
K&N Drop-In Filter
22.92%
CAI (Please Specify)
50.00%
Other (Please Explain)
6.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Best Intake for Non-Fording JK?

Old 03-13-2009, 09:58 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just got the new aFe drop in. I'm a REAL CAI critique.....and I gotta say it.....I really think I can tell a little difference in power. There's no additional noise since I'm still using the stock box so it's not that. I never wouldda thought I would be admittin it, but I think it really does have a tad more.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with my friend, Mr Redneckjeep. I have had the aFe dry drop in paired up with a Flowmaster Delta 50 muffler for a week now. It is not any louder, but it does seem to have a little more umph. I have noticed that shifts are a little bit later now and the hills in my neck of the woods seem to be a little easier to climb. I just had an oil change, so I will see in the next week if the mpg is effected at all.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:15 PM
JK Newbie

I've owned a slew of high performance vehicles and depending on your setup, the idea is to get more air. Cold air being denser paired with decent velocity does make more power yes, but remember hot air adamizes better with fuel. This means "bang" and less "knock".

I've heard intakes on JK's and I love the throaty sound, but your gain in power and mileage is seen in the proper tuning behind it. Fuel tables, etc, have to be changed to allow for the difference in air intake, can be as high as twice the volume the stock intake allows for.

So I vote for any intake of your choosing, but make sure you follow up with the modifications.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:26 PM
JK Newbie

I'm running the AEM CAI with banks torque tubes and banks monster cat bank. I didn't see much difference in the power but i put it on the same time as my lift and tires and didn't get to drive it with just the engine mods.
JT
Old 03-13-2009, 10:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Airaid and i like it. the slight wistle doesnt bother me. and the bottom of the intake is covered...i have hit water hard enough to wash over the hood a couple of times with out any water on the filter. maybe just my luck but i have only doen it a couple of times. haha dont have much water in colorado.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Mine - parts from Autozone. About $60.00.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P2160023.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	20664   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2160027.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	20665  
Old 03-14-2009, 03:48 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by dadgummit
I would stay away from filters that are oiled. they tend to gum up the throttle body and air intake sensor. They also give the dealer another excuse to try and void a part of your warranty.
This myth has been debunked several times and the JK doesn't use a MAF where most of the issues has been reported. A properly oiled K&N isn't going to put anywhere close to the oil need to gum up a throttle body or cause the AIT to clog.

Both Fram and Motorcraft use oil in there replacement filters. Certainly oil in a replacement filter would have a similar effect, and perhaps these companies are in part responsible for purveying the myth of reusable air filter oil.

Just isn't going to happen no matter how many times this urban myth gets repeated.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Aem

I loved my AEM until I hydrolocked.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:16 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I just got the new aFe drop in. I'm a REAL CAI critique.....and I gotta say it.....I really think I can tell a little difference in power. There's no additional noise since I'm still using the stock box so it's not that. I never wouldda thought I would be admittin it, but I think it really does have a tad more.
As appropriate penance I think you need to go back and correct the 50+ posts you have on the subject.

One of the other big differences between the CAIs is the construction of the tube. Metal conducts more heat which in turn heats up the air through the intake. Plastic tubes and black act as a thermal dispersant that keeps the air running through the tube cooler, and likewise reduces intake air temperature while increasing density. While none of the CAI products have a true cold air inlet they do pull air from a cooler portion of the engine compartment. Keeping that air cooler is why the plastic tubed CAIs have historically done better than their metal counterparts on a variety of vehicles.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I should have prefaced this post by stating I do have SOME experience with CAI's from building up my SCCA Miata. I am in no way an expert nor do I pretend to be one. I'm ignorant and questing for more information and experience so I thank all of you who've taken the time to respond. I appreciate the input and love that aspect of owning a Jeep (of which I'm now on my 4th).

So basically as I understand it there are three basic methods.

1.) Replacement air filter and stock air box.

Advantages:
- Cheap
- Easy To Install
- Maintains Stock Intake

Disadvantages:
- Minimal Improvement
- Continued Expense (on oiled filters)

2.) Cold Air Intake.

Advantages:
- Greater Improvement In Performance
- Reusable Air Filter
- More Agressive Sound to Engine

Disadvantages
- Requires Aftermarket Exhaust To Realise Highest Performance Gains
- Continued Expense (on oiled filters)
- Possible vaporlock/hydrolock

3.) Snorkle.

Advantages
- Forced Induction From Outside Engine Bay
- Massively Reduced Chance of Vapor/Hydrolock
- Agressive Styling

Disadvantages
- Extensive Modifications To Vehicle Required
- Expensive
- May Impact Visibility.

So, given all that, unless I'm ready to replace the entire exhaust system I might as well go for a simple K&N drop in replacement filter. Correct?

Quick Reply: Best Intake for Non-Fording JK?