Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best power for the $$$

Old 07-10-2007, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best power for the $$$

Towing two jet skis on a double trailer I was again reminded how pathetically under powered my Sahara 4dr 6sp JK is. yes I have 33+'s tires etc but come on, this thing was struggling hard on the highway. Anyway I love my jeep but need more power. What have people see with proven results? Under 1k total; for example CAI (which one?) Exhaust (which one?) software (or is this a waste?) or a combo of all plus something else? any and all input welcomed...... any word on a supercharger coming out anytime soon for the JK?

Oh one of my jet skis has more HP then my jeep if you believe that , stock with NO mods ...... sea do RXT SC 215hp from the factory..... bet my ski would pull my jeep better then the jeep pulls the ski's
Old 07-10-2007, 03:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have the 3.21's or the 4.10's?

If 3.21's, I'd definately say gears. 4.10'a should be plenty of gear for your setup.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:48 PM
JK Freak

gears are going to make the biggest difference, if you don't already have the 4.10's. cold air intake with a throttle body spacer would make the next biggest improvement. after that would be a new cat-back system - borla or magnaflow are good.
if you enhance your intake and exhaust, then use a jet stage 2 chip, that would make a good improvement.

if you did the re-gear yourself (i have no idea what labor would be to have it done - probably in the ballpark of $500-700) you could add an airaid CAI and their poweraid throttle body spacer, all for under $1000. that is they way i would go.

once you have lowered your gears, and gotten a CAI and throttle body spacer, then consider the exhaust and jet chip (stage 2 chips are for vehicles that have modified intake and exhaust).
Old 07-10-2007, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

if you enhance your intake and exhaust, then use a jet stage 2 chip, that would make a good improvement.

With the chip addon stage 1 or 2. Do you find or does the manufacter suggest to run the higher 93 octane fuel? If yes, I would think the higher priced fuel would off set any mileage gains. But the extra hp & torque would be graet for towing.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:09 PM
JK Junkie

I felt a slight improvement with first a stage1 Jet kit and then with the Airaid CAI. The CAI makes most of it's power differences in the upper ranges and the stage1 had more of an overall slight improvement from stock.

Last edited by bOLsAK=3; 07-10-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:33 PM
JK Freak

Gears are the best way to get hp to the axles.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:32 PM
JK Newbie

I don't know... I have 4.10's with my 33's and I'm ready for a deeper set. It really seems to struggle with what gear it wants to be in at around 60-70 mph, so highway driving is most definitely a pain. My only concern is that it'll really go south if i go any deeper than 4.88's, what with the engine being all wound up all the time and all. I need to hurry up and pay this sumbitch off so it can get a V8.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tjdUSCG
I don't know... I have 4.10's with my 33's and I'm ready for a deeper set. It really seems to struggle with what gear it wants to be in at around 60-70 mph, so highway driving is most definitely a pain. My only concern is that it'll really go south if i go any deeper than 4.88's, what with the engine being all wound up all the time and all. I need to hurry up and pay this sumbitch off so it can get a V8.
Sometimes it's as if people are talking about two totally different vehicles. I just read in another thread where a guy is running 37" tires with 4.10 gearing and it does fine up to 85 mph and yours is struggling with 33's at 60 mph. His was a 6 speed and maybe yours is an auto but I can't imagine a stick with 37's would do better than an auto with 33's.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:28 AM
JK Freak

4.10 gears on 37"s? he says it's fine now...until he regears.

i agree. with 33's, the gearing should be 4.56 or deeper. we aren't offered 4.56 yet...so, there you go. but i think that would be a good balance. if you are doing a lot of towing, then those little "nickel and dime" bolt-on HP things aren't going to help you at all. without the extra load, you may notice some throttle response, and your jeep might see a pony or two (if you can even notice gains that small), but not with a trailer behind you.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ryan37
I drove a bone stock sahara 4.10's and all, and yes, I would say my 6 sp with 37's will easily keep up no problem even on hills. But as degenerate said, they are fine untill I re-gear.
The 6 speed takes a bigger hit than the auto does with bigger tires.

Quick Reply: Best power for the $$$