Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best Roof Rack/least drilling

Old 01-22-2008, 08:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Kargomaster on my YJ and it's great.
Very solid. I haul 3 kayaks routinely now.

I don't really like the looks of their JK rack.
But for durability and strength, it is hard to beat.

And the price is awesome.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:20 AM
JK Newbie

I have to agree with your reply. Stay away from OffRoad Logic. I did actually receive a rack from them but it was so poorly made that it is unusable on my JK Unlimited softtop. Over 6 months later I'm still waiting for my replacement rack. No replies to recent emails, so maybe the guy is finally out of business.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got my Kargo Master last week. It seems very solid, but I plan on trimming mine down a little. I don't ever plan on using my soft top, so I'll trim down the rack just enough that I can still get the hard top off. It sticks up about 3" above the roof...a little too much to be able to put my Yakima Mega Warrior on top, and still get it in my garage.

http://my.project-jk.com/showgallery...00&ppuser=1151
Old 02-06-2008, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know you don't want drilling, but the garvin is a REALLY nice, solid rack. I've used mine a few times and really think it's top notch.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by huskyfargo
I got my Kargo Master last week. It seems very solid, but I plan on trimming mine down a little. I don't ever plan on using my soft top, so I'll trim down the rack just enough that I can still get the hard top off. It sticks up about 3" above the roof...a little too much to be able to put my Yakima Mega Warrior on top, and still get it in my garage.

I checked out your gallery photos of the rack - I like!

Nice pics of the dogs, too!
Old 02-09-2008, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks! I like the looks of the rack too, but it really seems to be hurting my mileage quite a bit. It produces so much more drag than I ever thought possible. I can't imagine that it would make much more difference if the thing were made of sheet metal. I'm gonna have to figure out something to help that situation a little bit.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks! I like the looks of the rack too, but it really seems to be hurting my mileage quite a bit. It produces so much more drag than I ever thought possible. I can't imagine that it would make much more difference if the thing were made of sheet metal. I'm gonna have to figure out something to help that situation a little bit.
I really don't think it is drag from the rack. Normally a rack like that would have minimal effect when empty.

Did you regear after putting on those tires? What are your current specs for gears and tires.

You could also just temp pull off the rack to verify what is going on.

Do the poles at the front affect your vision? Do you see them move any?
Do they feel firm when you grab them and shake em a bit?
Old 02-09-2008, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

How much work is it to take it off until you need it?
Old 02-09-2008, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wondering how it will look topless. Does the angle of the rear post match the angle of the sport cage?
Old 02-09-2008, 05:43 PM
JK Junkie

Yes, thanks for the pictures and comments. In order for me to hold on to this Jeep for a while I'm going to have to put a rack on it and the price of the Kargo Master is just right. However, Rugged Ridge has a TJ one that I like the looks of and I'm probably going to wait to see if they release one for the JK that's like it. But if they don't the Kargo Master will be the one.

Quick Reply: Best Roof Rack/least drilling