Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Shocks?

Old 09-06-2008, 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best Shocks?

I have the RC 2.5 BB and 2.2 shocks. I'm not that happy with the shocks. The front end does impact hard at times. Anyone having any luck with anything else? I looked at the Fox remote reservoir shocks, but wanted to hear from others before I drop the $$. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:31 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

you can't really go wrong with a set of old man emu's or bilsteins. both are great nitro shocks. if you want something with adjustability, rancho 9000x are good too.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

oooo.....WOL whats your take on ProComp MX6 adjustables ? just curious
Old 09-06-2008, 08:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are really happy with our Rancho 9000's
Old 09-06-2008, 09:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

For the money/performance..Bilsteins seem to have the best value.

The extension/compression, and digressive valving + Life Time warranty, make them hard to beat.

The OME's ride very nicely, but are twin tube designs, not monotubes, and they have very little travel. The Bils ride better, but also allow full range wheel travel/articulation...the OME rigs are always hanging tires in mid air when the shocks can't droop the rest of the way, etc.

The Rancho line includes some twin tube shocks at the low end, and some monotube shocks at the high end, but, their monotubes don't have digressive valving, so they make YOU adjust the shock depending upon the terrain expected, etc. (Hence their line of adjustable shocks...) The Rancho's have a lot of droop, and, IF you get the correct compression/rebound valving...they ride very well too. Unfortunately, you can't adjust the rebound/compression separately, only make both stiffer or softer, together, with one adjustment.

No shock will be right for you if the valving ranges are inappropriate for YOUR rig...so getting one brand or another will not always work, as every brand has assorted spec ranges across its line.

For example -

Rebound valving essentially damps motion associated with sprung weight, the frame mounted weight, etc.

The Compression valving essentially controls your UN-Sprung weight, like your tires and axles.

If you raise your center of gravity, with a SL, etc...that's all SPRUNG weight to control...so, you'd typically need more Rebound control.

If you get 37" Swampers, and they weigh more than your OEM 32's, that's more control needed on Compression valving.

If you add bumpers, armor, winches, tools and spare parts, etc...that's more Rebound to control.

OK, take all that, and tell me how the guy selling you shocks in a kit knew what combination of tires, tools, armor, etc YOU have...and, were GOING to have?

OK, they guess...but, its a guess. YOU need to know what makes a difference, and if the valving choice in the guess is a GOOD guess, or a bad guess, etc. Otherwise, you get the wrong shock choice, and the wrong ride, handling, articulation, etc.

Last edited by TEEJ; 09-06-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Comment on Rancho's: I have used Rancho 5000's two different times. I like how they worked. What I did not like is that both pairs rusted badly. Neither pair failed to work. They just looked bad or would have required re-painting. I won't be using Rancho's again
Old 09-07-2008, 08:43 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
oooo.....WOL whats your take on ProComp MX6 adjustables ? just curious
they work just like the Rancho 9000x and if you're looking for an adjustable shock, they'll do the job just fine.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the MX6 adjustables.

They work well. I have had them in several wranglers already. Only problem that I recently had...new out of the box, I bolted them in and the upper bushings for the rear gave out. I went to 4 wheel parts and they gave me new energy suspension bushings. other than that, I love the MX6 and got them for about $75 a piece
Old 09-07-2008, 08:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bly109
We are really happy with our Rancho 9000's
Yup really happy here as well...
Old 09-07-2008, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

would love to drop the cash on a set of nice resi shocks,untill then really happy with my RE(made by bilsein)monotubes.nice ride and suspension working great with them.
Hey TEEJ great write up,right on the money

Quick Reply: Best Shocks?