Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best Shocks for rough roads

Old 03-17-2014, 03:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Shocks for rough roads

I live in a part of the country that will always have rough roads with potholes etc. I don't expect my truck to drive like a BMW however are there a set of shocks that any of y'all suggest to absorb these impacts better? Looking to get a long life from the front end. I have a 3 inch fabtech w basic aftermarket shocks.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-17-2014, 04:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ome or rancho adjustables would be my suggestion.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are basic aftermarket shocks?? Shocks are subjective. What kind of ride you like may differ from what your buddy likes. The Rancho 9000's are nice and adjustable or even the FOX reservoirs would be good. I have the 5100's and I like the ride maybe a little stiffer then others.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:57 AM
JK Junkie

Default Best Shocks for rough roads

X3 on Rancho Adjustable's. Or even the 7000's.
Amazon has some kick ass pricing plus Rancho rebate. I think it's $75 back for the 7000 and $100 for the 9000 via Visa card.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Jeeps and rough roads don't go well together... I took a two year odyssey to figure out how to not skip across the potholes. The real answer is long arms and reservoir shocks! Seriously, nothing short of that combination cures the jeep shuffle. Don't bother spending money on any mono tube shock, you won't notice enough difference to make the expense worthwhile.
If you don't have a gazillion dollars to cure the problem, start out with fox reservoirs, and save your money for long arms. Good luck...
Old 03-17-2014, 09:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old Man Emu Nitro-charger shocks and 26 psi in the tires cured my washboard woes.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:26 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jkunl
I live in a part of the country that will always have rough roads with potholes etc. I don't expect my truck to drive like a BMW however are there a set of shocks that any of y'all suggest to absorb these impacts better? Looking to get a long life from the front end. I have a 3 inch fabtech w basic aftermarket shocks.

Thanks in advance
So recently Overland Journal in their Gear 2014 magazine did a really comprehensive shock review and the 9000's was one of them they tested. They tested them on a stock 2014 4 door and flogged that Jeep.
Out of the 5 or so big shock brands the 9000 came out on top. Pretty cool.

A monotube style is built for absorbing potholes, etc. BUT one thing that people don't like about this style of shock is that it has a firmer ride than "normal" shocks. This style is what I run on my personal JK BTW.

As kjeeper10 mentioned we have a solid rebate going on now:
Rancho Suspension: SPRING PROMOTION

Another thing that is pretty cool about Rancho is our guarantee:

Performance Guarantee and 90-Day Risk-Free Ride Offer

We challenge you to try our Rancho® RS9000XL™ Shock Absorbers or our Rancho® RS7000MT™ Monotube Shock Absorbers risk-free for 90 days - if these products* don't meet the challenge, call us for your money back.

Good luck in your search!
Old 03-17-2014, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Rancho 9000's. I can not see how anyone can find a better shock for remotely the same price as the rs9000's. Especially with the rebate going on. I'm running the dial on "2" all the way around. Soft without being bouncy. My only complaint is the red shock boots. I get that it's Rancho's color, but I ditched the boots. I actually prefer no boots anyway.

People tout the Bilstein 5100's all day and personally I think it is because they are a nice, "expensive-looking" shock. It certainly can't be because they are nice on the street. I ran them with my last JKU and was not impressed. Honestly, the Rough Country 2.2 shocks I had on that JKU felt better on the street than the Bilsteins. This is all subjective though. Some folks like a harsher ride. I personally found them way harsh.

That Overland article sold me on the Ranchos. That, and all the positive reviews from actual customers. Hard to find a fault.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:15 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by D1EHARD
I have the Rancho 9000's. I can not see how anyone can find a better shock for remotely the same price as the rs9000's. Especially with the rebate going on. I'm running the dial on "2" all the way around. Soft without being bouncy. My only complaint is the red shock boots. I get that it's Rancho's color, but I ditched the boots. I actually prefer no boots anyway.

People tout the Bilstein 5100's all day and personally I think it is because they are a nice, "expensive-looking" shock. It certainly can't be because they are nice on the street. I ran them with my last JKU and was not impressed. Honestly, the Rough Country 2.2 shocks I had on that JKU felt better on the street than the Bilsteins. This is all subjective though. Some folks like a harsher ride. I personally found them way harsh.

That Overland article sold me on the Ranchos. That, and all the positive reviews from actual customers. Hard to find a fault.
My friends told me about the article first, I went down to Barnes and Noble to buy the magazine, got sticker shock. Started to "read/peruse" the article. Very well written and informative. I like how they broke down a lot of different dynamics involved in shocks.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:12 PM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We're offering a Rancho sale for forum members, plus you receive the additional rebate! Send me a PM any time for pricing or with questions

Quick Reply: Best Shocks for rough roads