Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best AT tires?

Old 11-03-2015, 08:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ntropy
Another vote for Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's. I have 50,000 miles on a set of 5 (rotate them all) 37", and they still have 5-10k left. They are quiet yet capable, good in the wet. That all said, the Mickey's aren't cheap, and I am curious and just bought a set of 5 Toyo RT's for a lot less. I'll probably put those on around Thanksgiving.
So glad to hear that. Can't wait till mine have 60k so I can get them again lol. I have 33s
Old 11-04-2015, 05:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Falken wildpeaks again lol
285/70/17. 3 ply sidewall, D load. I got these for around $190/tire installed at wheelworks. Comes with free tire repair and rotation for life.
I've had them for almost 2 full years now and my jeep's my dd. They are great on road, in the wet and are also really good offroad. I haven't tried other a/t's but I can't imagine another a/t tire would perform better all around. I think the only con on the wildpeaks is they are relatively heavy being 3 ply. But nice to have that in the rocks.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rsmwrangler
BFG K02 in 285/70/17 here, E rated, zero noise, smooth as a Caddy ride at 30-32psi, considering they're mounted in a rig with front/rear live axels ,
Dont know if they're good tires for fuel economy though, i've never seeing anybody concerned with MPG driving a Jeep, but for what's worth it, i get 350 miles consistently with 19 gallons of fuel after 2" lift, tires/wheels, and at least 400lbs of extra weight from bumpers/sliders/skids, this is still with the factory 3.21's.
Can i get a bit more info on this? I have 285/75/16 ko2s w/ almost the same setup. 1.75" lift, and extra weight w/ bumpers/siderails, 3.21 ratio. But on the last trip i was cruising at 70-5 and only getting 15MPG.

The ONLY difference i think, is i have a defenders roof rack. Would the roof rack be hitting me with that huge loss of MPG? or is 70-75 too inefficient of a speed?

It was 2000 miles of driving so that was a big difference in how much i paid for gas...
Old 11-05-2015, 10:20 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I would sat at 75mph a roof rack would decrease your mpg.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ckor
That's the second gash. BF Goodrich pretty much said too bad. I've owned them all my life but I'm not to sure now.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
I had my ko2s sidewalls split about 6" on my 3rd run. Thankfully had road hazard and got a replacement. Weird thing is that I wasn't even playing on anything that gnarly. Never had any issues with the rubi MTs and I've put those through much rougher terrain. Bad luck I guess...

As per mpg, they're pretty good and super quiet. Running the 35s.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by munir
I had my ko2s sidewalls split about 6" on my 3rd run. Thankfully had road hazard and got a replacement. Weird thing is that I wasn't even playing on anything that gnarly. Never had any issues with the rubi MTs and I've put those through much rougher terrain. Bad luck I guess... As per mpg, they're pretty good and super quiet. Running the 35s.
I'm thinking with the narrow rims, 10psi off road doesn't work. I think the sidewalls are bulging too much, not that it should matter, the tires should still hold up. A little disappointed in then and now a bit nervous when I do go wheeling, which is every Sunday. Where did you get them with road hazard?

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 11-06-2015, 12:05 PM
JK Newbie

About three weeks ago, I got some 315/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs installed. I was expecting a big power loss, fair loss in fuel economy, and a rougher ride compared to the factory 255/75/17 BFGoodrich Mud Terrain TAs. I have been pleasantly surprised so far. The Duratracs have better traction on dry and wet pavement than the BFGs. They have a more solid feel on the road as well. Driving to work and back for a week got me the exact same fuel economy (after using a Supechips FlashCal). There is a little power loss noticed when taking off, but the 4.10 gears handle it no problem. It's not enough of a loss to make me search for ways to increase power. The ride is little rougher, but the roads here are full of cracks that have been sealed, so I probably notice it more than a lot of people would. I don't find them uncomfortable at all. I also don't notice anymore road noise over the stock tires. Also, they're one of the lightest tires I found in that size, which helps with minimal power loss and keeping fuel economy up. At this point, I'm very happy with the Duratracs.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:50 PM
JK Newbie

Default Cooper ST Maxx

10k on a set of Cooper ST Maxx 35s. Happy all around with MPG, quiet road, and off road performance on both mud and rocks. I air down to 12-15 depending on conditions and have no problem. 35 psi on road. Tread seems to be wearing well with rotations every 5k. They look excellent - can't forget that.

Quick Reply: Best AT tires?