Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

bestop element half doors- impressions

Old 04-28-2007, 04:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar experience with my element doors. It took a rubber mallet to get it to finally seat correctly. And the factory mirrors didn't fit so I had to buy another aftermarket set. Naturally the drill throughs didn't line up so that took more time. All of this fun isn't supposed to be so hard.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I ordered the half doors over 2 weeks ago and they still have not came in. I thought about making some half/rock doors, but could not figure out a latch. I hope when mine come in I dont have those problems, that a lot of money to spend on something that is not made good. So far not happy with bestop, they blew me off with my Bikini top flapping problem. Not a good company.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mshea
I had a similar experience with my element doors. It took a rubber mallet to get it to finally seat correctly. And the factory mirrors didn't fit so I had to buy another aftermarket set. Naturally the drill throughs didn't line up so that took more time. All of this fun isn't supposed to be so hard.
Can you actually "step" on the step pad and have the door remain in shape? (I know it's supposed to be closed when you use the step). Sounds like the element doors may not be worth it.. Too bad.. They (Bestop) should be reading this forum..!! They have the best looking door, but there's another.. by somebody I saw with the grating/wire mesh looking stuff on it that wasn't too bad.. The other (fab) I believe, looked like something off a Barbie Jeep..:<)
Old 04-30-2007, 02:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tulene
sorry to make you cut and paste, the image files would be too small/grainy if i had to adhere to the size limit for attachments. let me know what you guys think!
thanks, james

i canx'd my order, pending some at home fabricators working some half-doors up. i'm glad i did...

oh, img tags instead of url tags will post pics up. you're right though, they do look dark
Old 04-30-2007, 04:48 AM
JK Newbie

Lets hear it about the seats. Doors look great but i'm really liking the seats. Are those katskinz?
Old 04-30-2007, 09:08 AM
JK Newbie

Default leather seats

hey degenerate, thx for the tip and for posting the pix up accordingly!

as for the seats, yeah they are standard katzkin non-perf leather in BLACK, sounds obvious but there are actually several that appear to be close to black so watch out if you want the blackout effect. i requested no contrast stitching/piping and no logos. it was about $1500 incl labor. i love them, they really improve the interior significantly although it makes it quite dark. they also soften and increase the comfort factor of the seats significantly, which otherwise was a bit hard. they do the headrests too.
thanks!
Old 04-30-2007, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

oh btw, when i had installed them i was stepping on the step with the door latched and also swinging like tarzan with them open (not recommended), trying to bend the pins a bit to fit. no dice, nothing would give. im 200 lbs, plus the physics of me purposely jumping on and cursing them to bend. the upside of the QC issues is that these are pretty tough.

tuffy armrest security box going in next. . .

Last edited by tulene; 04-30-2007 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:39 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default That is one dark JK!

You have got the Darth Vader of JK's, that is bad-ass!!!
Old 05-24-2007, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

I think that these doors are manufactured to VERY exact tolerances. They all fit equally badly. Both of my doors took quite a bit of coaxing with the rubber mallet before they were persuaded. The left door still has to be pushed down at the latch before it will close. And the right door was incredibly loose at the latch. Fixed it with what else? Duct tape to shim up the latch. Have these knuckleheads heard of computer aided manufacturing? Still, once they are on I love the look.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mshea
Both of my doors took quite a bit of coaxing with the rubber mallet before they were persuaded.
i don't know what it is but this made me shoot water out my nose. now you owe me a new laptop sir.

Quick Reply: bestop element half doors- impressions