Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BF Goodrich AT or MT

Old 11-25-2012, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BF Goodrich AT or MT

Ok - so I could use some advice. I already have a TF leveling kit and can fit 33's on my 2012 JK 2 door. I will most likely be going with 285/70R17's on stock rubicon 17 inch rims. Undecided about spacers or not at this point. I'm a fan of BF Goodrich and had All Terrains (AT) on a few of my past jeeps. I was thinking about going that route again, but Mud Terrains (MT) look so beefy and good.

My question - should I go with AT's again or MT's?
I do a lot of highway driving and am a little worried about the road noise - should I be worried? Any other issues between the two that I should be thinking about? Thanks!
Old 11-25-2012, 10:56 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think road noise will be an issue and the mt's will look better and perform immensely better. I'd expect better mileage and tread life with the at though.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

X2 on the KM2 they are a great tire with very little road noise compared to other mud terrains out there.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The km2's aren't exactly "beefy" like other m/t tires. They are actually quite light. Very good off road but they can slice easier than a heavier tire. They perform ok in rain and snow but they really need siping to be great in those conditions. They do have a typical hum sound on the road but not awful. They also run small in the larger sizes like 35's and 37's but no clue on 33's.

The all terrain tires do ok off road but can't compete with the km2's. daily driving, however, they will drive great and outlast your jeep.

Take a look at a few other tires like the duratracs or maybe the brand new Toyo a/t 2's that just came out. The new toyo looks great for an all terrain.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ive ran both, so the question is, do you wheel at all.
Simple answer is if you wheel at all, go KM2 as they are quiet and hook up really amazing.
If you don't wheel then go AT KO as they are also badass for snow rain ice sand highway.
Both tires wear really nice and last a good while.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:01 PM
JK Freak

My 33 bfg at measured 31.5 and did really well in all conditions on and offroad. After 30000 miles still had a good amount of tread left. I upgraded to 35inch km2s which were surprisingly quite compared to my somewhat worn down ats
Old 11-25-2012, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys - I do wheel here and there (not as much as I would wish). We do get clipped with some good snow and ice a few times a year but outside of that - its mainly highway. Tough one.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:57 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Expect 50,000+ with BFG A/T,the M/T type tire like KM2's see less,though we had nearly 35k on ours til we opened the sidewall
Old 11-25-2012, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

Not just for the looks, cause they look awesome, but they will also be better offroad, and will be fine onroad as well. But at the end of the day you have to be happy with them. Which one gives you the warm fuzzies? Thats what I would go with.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default dare to be different

every Jeep owner feels the need to get BFGs why not go with something elser?

Quick Reply: BF Goodrich AT or MT