Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

BFG AT's vs BFG MT's...opinions please

Old 09-08-2007, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default BFG AT's vs BFG MT's...opinions please

I've already searched all over this site but I could use some more opinions.

I'm looking to upgrade my BFG AT's (33's) to 35's but I'm not sure which tire to go with.
I think I've narrowed it down to two tires
BFG AT's
BFG MT's
I've considered Toyo Open Countries but I don't think they're worth $200 more and I hear they're not good in the winter (onroad).

What I'd like to have in a tire/uses:
1. Mostly daily driver but I like to get offroad on the weekends
A. Like driving on the beach
B. Easy to moderate dirt trails
C. Occasional mud
D. I'd like to start getting into more challenging trails
2. Relitively quiet
3. Decent wear
4. We usually don't have a ton of snow. Average 4in.s max. Some ice.

So far my 33" BFG AT's have taken me everywhere I want to go, so I've been leaning that way. I just don't want to regret passing over the MT's if that's the way to go.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 09-08-2007, 09:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't have an AT tire. MT would be my choice. IMO AT is only good for the road. BFG MT is about as road friendly as an off road tire can get (this makes their just ok offroad.) They are very quiet on the road and have a rolled horizontal contact area compared to more aggressive tires. This makes them turn easier and have less noise than a typical offroad tire. I hear they wear well. I can't comment on that since mine are fairly new.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VBS4

I'm looking to upgrade my BFG AT's (33's) to 35's but I'm not sure which tire to go with.
BFG AT's
BFG MT's
I've considered Toyo Open Countries but I don't think they're worth $200 more and I hear they're not good in the winter (onroad).

C. Occasional mud
2. Relitively quiet
3. Decent wear

So far my 33" BFG AT's have taken me everywhere I want to go, so I've been leaning that way. I just don't want to regret passing over the MT's if that's the way to go.

Thanks,
Todd
I'd personally go for the AT. I had them on my TJ and never had a problem w/em. From what you're describing the use the AT's should do.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm going back to MT's on my old YJ. Currently running Super Swamper TSL/SX's. I got about 35K mi out of my last set of MT's. They are a good all around tire and I've never had a problem with them in the snow or ice. AT's, while a good tire, are not fit for the trails I run. I often have to deal with steep tree covered hills that can be wet. AT's don't cut it in even light mud
Old 09-08-2007, 04:05 PM
JK Freak

a while back the 4 wheel magazines did a test between the AT and the MT and chose the MT because it was slightly better off road with very good on road manners.the only place that the AT excelled was in the loose sand. On road almost identical responses.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone
There are definitely pros and cons to both, which makes this a hard decision.

One of my neighbors said that the MT's don't wear so great. He actually said they wear unevenly. Anybody experience this?

Thanks again

Edit: Does anyone know if the more aggressive tread has any affect on gas mileage? I know the size itself will.

Last edited by VBS4; 09-09-2007 at 05:22 AM.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

In my experiences with MTs, they do cut into mileage and acceleration a bit. I don't know if its greater weight or more rolling resistance because of the tread design - or both. I ran Goodyear MT/Rs on my TJ for years and yes they wore unevenly, even with rotating every 3K miles. Too soon to say on my new BFG MTs. I need to find a spot for the chalk test to determine the air pressure for the BFGs, but haven't yet.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:59 AM
JK Super Freak

With as little snow as we get around here (Howdy neighbor), and with the type of mud (thick and gooey) we are likely to see in VA, definitely go with the MTs. I commute 50 miles a day on my BFG mts and it's fine.

Originally Posted by VBS4

BFG AT's
BFG MT's

C. Occasional mud
2. Relitively quiet
3. Decent wear

Thanks,
Todd
Old 09-09-2007, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the AT's on my TJ. They wore incredibly well and I never had any problems with them.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had both on my TJ. JK has MT's. I liked the AT's better on wet surfaces for DD. My suggestion is...if you had AT's and were happy with them get them again. I do not rotate my tires. Moderate off road trails seems to kill them one at a time. I never wore tires out. Only punctured them to death on the trail.

Quick Reply: BFG AT's vs BFG MT's...opinions please