Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

BFG KM2 - Issues - Horror Stories

Old 12-31-2014, 10:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As food for thought, I have truetracs in both axles and this more than makes up for poor winter traction with MT tires. I almost never spin out or lose traction.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by McKinney
Different people with different stories I wanted to try the MTR Kevlar in a 35" size and was not sure if I wanted those or 37" tires. So I purchased a set of 35" MTR's online for a super cheap price, the guy needed money and when I got there they were not nearly as close to the amount of tread left he said so I low balled him. He based all tires and value off the tire with the least amount of wear The MTR's were the worst tire I ever owned, they pulled all over the place and I thought that going to a larger tire that I had something wrong with the front end, because issue magnify when you go to a larger tire. I had the old style MTR on my TJ and I loved them! I think the MTR's were coming apart or something, but have heard from some others that they pull badly. On the other hand something to know is that they are a directional tire so rotating tires is limited! I found a set of used KM2's from a friend for a good deal so I purchased a new set of all terrains for daily driving and the 37's for off roading. I will say that the KM2's are sipped in the middle so I have chunking from off roading, but from what I hear that is the only way to run those tires for best traction. Otherwise they are not that good in the snow. I have driven them in the snow a bit and they are OK, what you would expect form a mud terrain tire that is wide and large lugs. My .2 cents is if you go with KM2's then sipe them! Good luck!
There are no limitations to how you can rotate the MTRKs. They need to be mounted with a specific sidewall facing out but can be rotated the same as a normal tire.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by McKinney
Different people with different stories I wanted to try the MTR Kevlar in a 35" size and was not sure if I wanted those or 37" tires. So I purchased a set of 35" MTR's online for a super cheap price, the guy needed money and when I got there they were not nearly as close to the amount of tread left he said so I low balled him. He based all tires and value off the tire with the least amount of wear The MTR's were the worst tire I ever owned, they pulled all over the place and I thought that going to a larger tire that I had something wrong with the front end, because issue magnify when you go to a larger tire. I had the old style MTR on my TJ and I loved them! I think the MTR's were coming apart or something, but have heard from some others that they pull badly. On the other hand something to know is that they are a directional tire so rotating tires is limited! I found a set of used KM2's from a friend for a good deal so I purchased a new set of all terrains for daily driving and the 37's for off roading. I will say that the KM2's are sipped in the middle so I have chunking from off roading, but from what I hear that is the only way to run those tires for best traction. Otherwise they are not that good in the snow. I have driven them in the snow a bit and they are OK, what you would expect form a mud terrain tire that is wide and large lugs. My .2 cents is if you go with KM2's then sipe them! Good luck!
The MTR's are not directional. Just need to be mounted correctly on the rim like mentioned above and you can rotate them just like any other set of tires. I've had them for 50,000 km and have no issues with them (mud, snow, wet granite, sand and slick rock). I use them year round and frequent northern Ontario (Canada) with them and they do the job.

To the OP, any mud tire will not perform well on ice and packed snow. But if you know how to drive and take precautions when the road conditions are poor you'll be alright. But if you are really worried then sipe your mud tires or just get a decent all-terrain tire.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:38 PM
JK Freak

The last guy said it at the end of his post. MT's are not for slick conditions. Think about other people's safety when making the decision of what you're gonna run. Remember, the times when you're gonna rely on traction are going to most likely be emegency situations that are out of your control. For example, if you're driving down a wet road and as you take a turn someone steps off a curb. You may not be able to avoid sliding into them. If you don't go off road much, go with an AT.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:19 PM
JK Super Freak

^Really. I've ran MTs on my wranglers for the past 15 years and have never had an issue and I head to the mountains when the snow starts falling. I guess Jeep doesn't think about people's safety when they put MTs on Rubicons and their special editions...

Guess I haven't thought of people's safety while running the factory KMs on my Willys. Good thing the MTRs are going on tomorrow.

Last edited by Saharaunlmtd; 12-31-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:01 PM
JK Freak

It was my opinion. The safest choice for anyone that is mainly on-road, which is most likely the majority of us on this forum, is going to be an AT over a MT is all. Can't argue with that.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

By Saharaunlmtd
“^Really. I've ran MTs on my wranglers for the past 15 years and have never had an issue and I head to the mountains when the snow starts falling. I guess Jeep doesn't think about people's safety when they put MTs on Rubicons and their special editions...
Guess I haven't thought of people's safety while running the factory KMs on my Willys. Good thing the MTRs are going on tomorrow.”
By Chefbrujo
“…..The safest choice for anyone that is mainly on-road, which is most likely the majority of us on this forum, is going to be an AT over a MT is all. Can't argue with that.”
Only one of these opposed posts can be right, right?

It begins with the fact that one tire type is defined as ‘Mud Terrain’ – made for maximum performance on mud, and the other is defined as ‘All Terrain’ – made for maximum performance on a variety of conditions.

So many of us report that AT grab better on dry, wet or snowy roads, that I can only conclude that those who claim that MTs grab as well as ATs, haven’t actually felt the difference.

I don’t understand why, in the US, some people claim that MTs grab as well as ATs on various road conditions. Over here, no one would say that. Offroaders say - “Yes, I have to be more careful on roads, but I like the look of MT”, or - “I don’t mind driving slower on roads, I want max’ grab on mud (or sand dunes)”.
On rocks, it’s usually the driver skill that makes the difference between easy crossing or multiple attempts, rather than the MT vs AT difference.

The advantage of MTs is on deep and thick mud, on sand dunes, and sometimes in certain stream crossing (depending on the stream bottom characteristics).
MTs can also be an advantage for rock crawling, on some rock types. On relatively smooth rocks, MTs have no advantage. On snow, MTs are good when it’s wet snow which behaves like very thick mud, and allows the vertical surfaces to push against it – but that’s only one specific snow type.

Like many others, most of my driving is on roads and trails. I don’t concentrate on deep thick mud or on sand dunes. I do rock crawling when there’s such a section on the way, which isn’t very often.
For this type of use -- DD plus a mix of pure offroading and overlanding -- ATs are the proper tires, MTs would not perform as well as ATs.

I tried MTs on a similar JKUR, and rejected the idea after some fast turns and hard braking – and that was on dry asphalt. In wet conditions, the difference between the two increases.

And, again, having or adding sipping improve the grab of MTs on a wet road, but won’t make a MT behave like AT.

MTs are very good at what they’re made for, and they’re not made to excel on roads or various trail conditions which they weren’t made for.
If driven with their limitations in mind, they are OK as DD, but in case of a sudden emergency maneuver, MTs won’t equal ATs.

Last edited by GJeep; 01-01-2015 at 02:19 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Chefbrujo
It was my opinion. The safest choice for anyone that is mainly on-road, which is most likely the majority of us on this forum, is going to be an AT over a MT is all. Can't argue with that.
Yes, I agree. The safest choice for wet/snowy on road driving is a well siped AT but you are not facing impending doom running a MT in the same conditions.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:21 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Love those KM2's other than the smaller size the sidewalls are soft but that's the great thing about them,they mold to the rocks.Aired down they are awesome in the snow/ice.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:40 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)

I have 50k on my 33" km2s. They're E rated. I've never had sidewall issues or anything. They chunk, one has a balancing issue, but that's all. If you know how to drive, they're fine in poor conditions. I've had mine on ice and snow for many drives and have never thought I was going to lose control. On oily wet roads, you'll have problems, but you'll have problems with anything on oily wet roads.

Quick Reply: BFG KM2 - Issues - Horror Stories