Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bfg Krawlers on DD

Old 01-21-2014, 07:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bfg Krawlers on DD

I need opinions. I have a line on Krawlers basically half price at %75 tread on 4 and one brand new. They are the size I'm looking to move to and currently I only drive my jeep about 10k a year. Should I? Or should I go with a new set of trepadors which will last longer.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Oh ya. They're red label
Old 01-21-2014, 08:04 PM
JK Junkie

Pass- they're a competition tire and you want to DD it. You'll eat through that soft sticky rubber so quickly that you'll cry.

Good tires (from pirate reviews) but not worth everything that goes with it and having to replace them so soon.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:08 PM
JK Super Freak

That's what my wallet said too, I just needed to hear it from one more source. Thx.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

From what I understand they're the best rock crawling tire on earth, and they're not DOT legal. You could blow them up on the freeway, wreck your jeep and end up with your insurance company saying "Nope, not gonna pay for that."
Old 01-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Too soft. Unless it is a trailer queen that is only a trail rig, I would look at something else.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4W-Jive
I need opinions. I have a line on Krawlers basically half price at %75 tread on 4 and one brand new. They are the size I'm looking to move to and currently I only drive my jeep about 10k a year. Should I? Or should I go with a new set of trepadors which will last longer.
KRAWLERS, no question!
Old 01-22-2014, 01:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TJJK

KRAWLERS, no question!
Red label tho. Not gonna do it.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:13 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Blue labels are DOT legal and fine for a daily driver--although you would want to sipe the center lugs if you drove on ice or in rain. They are very good off road.

Red labels are a sticky competition compound for off road use only. They wouldn't last more than a few thousand miles on the street. They are awesome off road.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My stickies are DOT approved (treps)... or at least that's what I believe the DOT embossed in the sidewall means.

I wouldn't consider running them on hardball... I'd get a grand out of them, maybe two.

Might want to do a bit of research on your other choice... while the comps are considered by many to be the best rock crawling tire out there, I've seen the std compound hook up worse than those MTRs I junked after four trips. IDK how well they work in other environment as I've only seen them in the rocks. Big plus to the Maxxis is the have very thick sidewalls.

Quick Reply: Bfg Krawlers on DD