Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biggest wheel/tire to fit on stock tire carrier?

Old 03-17-2010, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biggest wheel/tire to fit on stock tire carrier?

Can I get by with a 33x12.5 tire on the stock carrier or would I need a spacer? Most likely the tire will be mounted on a 17x9 or 18x9 wheel. I've tried a search and I am not having much luck finding my answer (unless I suck at that thar searchering.)
Old 03-17-2010, 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

I have 35x12.5 on 17" AEV Pintlers on my stock rack. Put the spacers on and the wheel lug nuts actually wouldn't thread in because it pushed the wheel too far out.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:56 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

FAQ section.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, Hoss.

Originally Posted by FAQ
Q: Will a 33" tire fit on the factory spare tire mount without causing any warping or damage to the tailgate or mount?

A: You should be just fine with a 33" spare tire especially if the sidewalls of it is making good contact with the rubber isolators on the tailgate. The isolators will help prevent the jiggling of the tire and that is ultimately what will cause you problems down the road.
Sounds like it should fit, but I'll have to pick up a set of Daystar tail gate stops in case the wheel offset causes any issues.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Backspacing aside, you should really consider this as a short-term solution. I made the mistake of mounting my 35 x 12.5 spare tire (17 x 9 wheel) on my tailgate, using an adapter, and two months later I have CRAZY rattling, squeaking, etc., from the rear. I had the spare taken off literally 3 hours ago ... and the sounds went away. I bit the bullet and ordered the LOD Gen 2 rear bumper w/ tire carrier, which was the *real* answer to begin with!
Old 04-17-2010, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm going to bump my own thread since the new wheels/tires are currently on a UPS truck and I am still not sure if the spare will fit with the stock carrier configuration (width, not height).

According to my research...

Stock JK Wheel/tire: 255/75/17, 7.5" wheel w/ 44+ backspacing
New Wheel/tire: 325/60/18, 9" wheel w/ 10+ backspacing

If my calculations are correct, the inside of the new wheel will give me 15mm more clearance. The new tire is 70mm wider overall, so I am losing 35mm of clearance with the tire. The net clearance change will be a loss of 20mm.

20mm is just over 0.75" of inside clearance lost, yet there's maybe 1/2" of clearance currently between the 3rd brake light bracket and stock tire. It's close, but will this work with some elbow grease or do I need to purchase a different 3rd brake light bracket?
Old 04-03-2011, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

So what happened? Did you install the tires?

Quick Reply: Biggest wheel/tire to fit on stock tire carrier?