Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bikini top question

Old 06-10-2008, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bikini top question

I’m considering purchasing a new JK 4dr but have a teenage daughter who is a little concerned. Please no laughter when I ask this question.

How much interior airflow do you get w/ the windows up and a Bikini top installed? My daughter is worried about messing up her hair on the morning drive to school. I guess she has a legitimate concern since she spends about an hour on her hair each morning. I would like to keep the top off if the Bikini top could solve my daughter’s concern.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just installed the Bestop bikini top on the 4 door Wrangler this weekend. No noticable airflow in the cabin.

Wy wife drove the jeep 40 minutes today on the freeway to an interview with no problem.

It's just a little nosier.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:25 PM
JK Freak

Been driving with the Safari top (Bikini = 2 door, Safari = 4 door, but used interchangably) for several months now. First I just had the Safari top with the back open...just a very slight breeze gets to the front seat over the armrest. Then I got my Duster and WindJammer. It stops nearly all the flow, but still maintains that open air feel. Even with windows down there isn't a whole lot of air flow kicking you around (except when it's windy outside).

I would suggest checking into the Mopar Safari top (think it's called a Sun-Something and is reasonably priced). I have all Bestop pieces, but have heard the Mopar version seals up better along the top of the door frames. There is a little bit of rain leaking with the Bestop version.

Also, my setup is using all of the OEM Soft Top door frames and pieces to help seal the front of the cabin better. If you don't already have a factory soft top with all the pieces, check into that BEFORE buying the Safari...they run about $450 from a dealer for all the pieces...and that doesn't include the actual soft top and windows. Consider buying the dual top group, soft top, or hard top depending on what you plan to do in the future.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the bestop bikini top and the door surrounds on mine...I love it , you have the air condition on and stay cool yet you get the fresh air...no blowing hair...she will be fine...also might want to look at the rear duster deck cover ( for security- keeps an honest man honest) --(check my pics)...
Old 06-10-2008, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife works at a bank and she drives MY Jeep everyday. So we have the doors on and the front hard top panels on (basically a bikini top) and it doesn't mess her hair up at all.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have the bikini and my wife loves it almost as much as driving topless, as well as the our grand daughter. Our daughter does not like the wind in her hair either.
I hate to say it but it appears to me your daughter is not a Jeep Girl. Perhaps you did not introduce her to the blue colar workers way of life and ended up spoiling her. I only say that as I know that is what happened to our daughter, and it was my fault. Much as it grieves me, our daughter has become plastic to the point that her make up is far more important than fun. She would much rather spend time in the bathroom looking at herself in the mirrior while talking with her friend on her cell about her latest zit, then helping to take the top off the wifes JK, and it was all my fault. Believe it or not she was a second degree black belt in Moo Du Kwon, at the age of 14, and has won many tournaments throughout the state, in both kata and contact, yet after every bout she would have to run to the ladies room to see whether her face was.....
Well she had to check herself out to ensure she was not blemished. She had to have a pitbull for a pet. Not so much because she loved pitbulls, but rather because it was the pet to have, althought I must say our pit, yes I say ours, because she has little time for him now, is well behaved and very good looking. She trained him herself as a pup and did it will, but now it seems he belongs to us rather than her, as she has very little time for him. But she does want to breed him, as she thinks he would produce quality pups. Her friends told her this also. For graduation she wanted a BMW, after knowing we could not afford to buy her one, she told us a Honda will do. I tried to talk her into Jeep, and told her in this area a Jeep would be better in the winter than a Honda. She wanted a Honda. We bought her a 2006 Honda CVCC in 2006. She had the thing for 2 years and had it tore up. She then told me she wanted a Jeep because the Honda did not do well in the winter. Not just any Jeep but she wanted a Grand Cherokee Limited. The Larado would not do because it did not have leather and all the things a Limited had. What did I do for my princes? I bought her a GC Limited. I payed for the Jeep, her mom pays for her insurance. She pays for the gas. At least now she is a Jeep Girl but yet plastic as she is. She has a CNA cirtificate and working on her nursing liscence, but says she would rather work at a local pizza shop because there is more time to party and have fun. She had fun and that is why our grand daughter has come into this world, but I must say she would kill if anyone would hurt her daughter. Miriah that is her daughters name, our grand daughter, and I love to take her to shop for cloths. She is now ten. We got a Gap for Kids card for her, and she loves shopping also, but when it comes time to pay, she tells me PaPa, give me the card so I can pay. That is her biggest excitement.
Don't get me wrong, I'm retired military with a full time job, and the wife and I have saved alot through the years. We own our own home as well as some stocks and bonds. We started a fund for the grand daughter when she was born and she has over $20K now.
Although sometimes I despise our daughter, I love her always, and it's always a new experience with her.
My mom said to me along time ago before she passed, "I just hope you have a son or daughter that is exactly like you were when you were growing up, then you can see just how bad you were".
Well mom, God Bless your Soul, you got your wish, not only the daughter but grand daughter also.
I don't care. The daughter with her Jeep is getting a little better now, and even call it her Jeep rather than her car. As for the grand daughter just the other day the wife and I took her to Ruby Tuesday's for a night out. We parked by an H3 and she said PaPa that looks almost like a Jeep like MeMa's but the top doesn't come off.
I can see she is learning quicker than our daughter.

Oh to answer your question about the bikini top.
I love the thing. My wife loves the thing, but would rather go topless.
The daughter hates the thing.
The grand daughtert loves the thing.
You get a little more noise and wind than the regular top.

Last edited by Lorrel; 06-11-2008 at 01:06 AM.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default welp..

I have a pretty high maintence girlfriend and she basically refuses to get in th ejeep after doing her hair unless the hard top is on or I have the bikini top on. It allows some flow, but not enough to mess with any hair. Just remember if you get the best top and you just get the hard top there are a few extra parts you need to get that they forget to mention to you. To be satisfied you will need the door surrounds, the tailgate bar, and the tailgate bar clips. that right there will add about 300 bucks or so.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

the sunrider top...you can put it up in 5 minutes MAX then when she get's out put it back down. Takes all of 5 minutes.

Quick Reply: Bikini top question