Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

To boot or not to boot is the question

Old 04-27-2011, 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To boot or not to boot is the question

I purchased Bilstein 5100's I didn't install the boots. Today at the alignment shop I received mixed reviews from fellow JK'ers. I read a few posts that say not too, and i prefer the look. The roads here get overloaded with salt in the winters. I also play in sand often (NJ Pine Barrens) and would love some feedback. Thanks

Also is it ok to mount the rears inverted?
Old 04-27-2011, 08:14 PM
MTH
JK Enthusiast

No boots on my Old Man Emus. No reason really.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:14 PM
JK Freak

i have ran my 5100 for over 2 years with out boots, when fully extended the boot pops off. i think they look better with out. + the boot keeps in moisture, sand and other garbage.

and yes you can can mount them inverted

Last edited by willypapooh; 04-27-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The boots are mainly to keep the shaft of the shock from getting pitted. They don’t keep the salt and other stuff in the environment out. I keep putting my boot back on and I’m not sure why I bother.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:20 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While i DO like the way they look, I vote no boots.

IMO after owning multiple vehicles and playing in the mud most of my life and living in the salt belt of western NY they hold mud/sand/salt other crud up against the shaft of the shock and cause it to pit, which wears out the seals and causes the shocks to leak prematurely. On a purely street driven summer vehicle i have nothing against them.

Just my
Old 04-28-2011, 03:30 AM
JK Freak

It was a 80's thing,,, now everybody is goin bootless and those darn black wheels,, course you could go with em, and if ya keep it long enough I'm sure the trend will come back around, I'm still holdin on to my bell-bottoms just waiting for the day,,,
Old 04-28-2011, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jknockers
It was a 80's thing,,, now everybody is goin bootless and those darn black wheels,, course you could go with em, and if ya keep it long enough I'm sure the trend will come back around, I'm still holdin on to my bell-bottoms just waiting for the day,,,
This is so ture.... boots are a thing of the past. Now black wheels.... I had a set in 97 on my first truck (79 Dodge PowerWagon) and everyone thought they looked dumb. Know you can get anywheel in black. I also have ran boots on everything... only problem was the boots would come off. As far as running them upside down... most manufactures will have a note with the shock if you can't mount them inverted.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:31 AM
JK Freak

no boots in my opinion
Old 04-28-2011, 09:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive never ran boots. Never an issue.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great information. I see how no boots would make it easier to clean off the crud after the trails. Good thing to keep in mind.

Quick Reply: To boot or not to boot is the question