Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Brake Rotor Upgrade

Old 12-03-2009, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am installing these this weekend.... will try and give a report after the break in is done

powerslots not the larger Tereflex, ordered them a month ago

Last edited by chickenman; 12-03-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

What is behind the desire for larger rotors? My jeep's factory brake system can already apply enough stopping power to cause the tires to skid (ABS to do it's thing)

The only real benefit I can see is to reduce fade and ware from overheating during prolonged braking.

I just don't see how they'll make the jeep stop any faster. A stoped tire is a stoped tire, right?
Old 12-03-2009, 01:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Put 37's on your jeep, it wont stop as fast
Old 12-03-2009, 01:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Chewie
What is behind the desire for larger rotors? My jeep's factory brake system can already apply enough stopping power to cause the tires to skid (ABS to do it's thing)

The only real benefit I can see is to reduce fade and ware from overheating during prolonged braking.

I just don't see how they'll make the jeep stop any faster. A stoped tire is a stoped tire, right?
doesn't look like you have larger than stock tires by your sig....my brakes don't work nearly as well slowing down my heavy toyo 35's, so i'm sure for people running 37-40's its much much worse.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:18 PM
JK Newbie

Never having had anything but stock tires, I don't claim to know, but with 37s can you make the tires squeal in hard braking? If you can, I guess I just don't understand how it'll make you stop any faster. If you cant make the tires skid, then I can see the larger rotors.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never having had anything but stock tires, I don't claim to know, but with 37s can you make the tires squeal in hard braking? If you can, I guess I just don't understand how it'll make you stop any faster. If you cant make the tires skid, then I can see the larger rotors.
The heavier the JK, the harder the brakes have to work to stop. Add some 37" or larger tires, bumpers, big spare and a hemi and see how well the stock brakes can get cooked.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
The heavier the JK, the harder the brakes have to work to stop. Add some 37" or larger tires, bumpers, big spare and a hemi and see how well the stock brakes can get cooked.
Ah, that makes sense. If your vehicle weighs significantly more (towing, equipment, kinetic energy from heavier tires) you may need a beefier system to prevent overheating and resulting loss of stopping power and equipment failure.

So it's not going to make most folks stockish vehicles stop any faster.

Thanks for the info
Old 12-03-2009, 02:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the Brake Master Cylinder kit big enough to accomadate these big brake calipers and rotors. Will you offer these in different bolt pattron like 5x5 for D60
Old 12-03-2009, 03:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Ah, that makes sense. If your vehicle weighs significantly more (towing, equipment, kinetic energy from heavier tires) you may need a beefier system to prevent overheating and resulting loss of stopping power and equipment failure.

So it's not going to make most folks stockish vehicles stop any faster.

Thanks for the info

It should definately make an improvement to stopping distance for a stock JK.

There is a larger area that brake force can be applied.

This results in a shorter stopping distance.

Same thing happens with a sports car, etc when you go to a big brake kit. It's proven that you actually reduce the distance required to stop.

I'm putting this on the list.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

Hopefully someone can do an unbiased before and after test and get some black and white info behind my question. All I could find on other sites is mostly armchair engineers such as myself.

My remains about the same. Once you make the tires skid, it shouldn't matter how big your rotors are, your tire is now the only reason your not stopping. If they won't do that as needed without damage then you might need better brakes.

I would like smoother shorter stops as much as the next guy so I hope I'm proven wrong. If so. they may go on my list too.

Originally Posted by CerOf
It should definately make an improvement to stopping distance for a stock JK.

There is a larger area that brake force can be applied.

This results in a shorter stopping distance.

Same thing happens with a sports car, etc when you go to a big brake kit. It's proven that you actually reduce the distance required to stop.

I'm putting this on the list.

Quick Reply: Brake Rotor Upgrade