Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Brakes upgrade?

Old 02-26-2009, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes upgrade?

Hi,

It's time to change the brakes on my Sahara. I still have the 18s it came with. My question is. Can I "upgrade" the brakes? meaning can I put bigger rotors, calipers and brake pads? I'm thinking that it should brake better...any input/suggestions?

Thanks,
Henri.

Last edited by Henri; 02-26-2009 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Can't spell brakes :naw:
Old 02-26-2009, 05:30 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

good luck on finding anything. i changed out my brakes last year and not a whole lot was available yet. maybe things have changed since then.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
good luck on finding anything. i changed out my brakes last year and not a whole lot was available yet. maybe things have changed since then.
So I'm assuming you went with stock right?
Old 02-26-2009, 05:34 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Henri
So I'm assuming you went with stock right?
well, i just went to my local napa and got their version of stock replacement parts.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to try some ceramics for S&Gs. I only have 6700 miles and my brakes are squealing
Old 02-26-2009, 06:11 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are several good brake pads available but I haven't seen much in way of calipers and rotors
Old 03-05-2009, 12:49 PM
JK Freak

WOL or others - so did went with regular after market pads? I called a couple dealers and almost laughed at the cost of pads - triple the price I expected. But then calling around the prices went from $40 at PepBoys (in MD area) to $140 at the dealership. Does anyone have thoughts on decent replacement brands? WOL - thank you for your write up on changing pads.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

PepBoys = SCARY!!!!
They did some "break" work on an old Suburban I used to have. It ended up locking up on me in the middle of the interstate in Dallas...thankfully it was a Sunday afternoon. I slid sideways in the middle of the interstate in an '86 Suburban with 4" of lift on 35" tires...not fun!!!
Old 03-05-2009, 01:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by huskyfargo
PepBoys = SCARY!!!!
They did some "break" work on an old Suburban I used to have. It ended up locking up on me in the middle of the interstate in Dallas...thankfully it was a Sunday afternoon. I slid sideways in the middle of the interstate in an '86 Suburban with 4" of lift on 35" tires...not fun!!!
i would trust their parts though, but not their work. ive taken a few rotors there to get turned, and everytime they have to give me a new rotor because they messed up mine. so when i want new rotors for the jeep, i just take it to them, they screw it up, and i get new ones for the price of turning it. muhahaha

Quick Reply: Brakes upgrade?