Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which brand of coil spacers is best for my current lift?

Old 05-12-2010, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which brand of coil spacers is best for my current lift?

My current lift height is 4.5", in fact, they are combined with a 3.5" RE suspension lift and 1" of M.O.R.E Body lift. As the matter of, I think I need a higher suspension lift, so I am considering add not more than 1" coil spacers to my coil springs, and then I can take off the BL hardware.
How is coil spacers work with the coil springs, will they offer the same off road ability and the on road ride comforts as the individual coil springs?

There are several brands I am checking right now; the simple coil spacers have much less costs, and there are many brand of choose from; the JKS adj coil spacers are fancy and they are ADJUSTABLE, but the price of them are much more than the traditional coil spacers.
By the way, which one of them is suitable to me, however, the handling and safety are the primary purposes for me.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just installed a 1" Tereflex just in the front over the existing 4" lift to get rid of the front end squating.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DeepH2OBlue
Just installed a 1" Tereflex just in the front over the existing 4" lift to get rid of the front end squating.
How is the road handling ability, is there any difference?
Old 05-12-2010, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by imack606
why do you want to take off the BL hardware? i was just thinking of getting a MORE kit so i can run the 35.5" Q78s which run more like a 36+" OD going from the 35"s TSLs i run now.

with regard to the spacers one thing to think about is how much on road driving do you do vs off road driving. i'm running the regular cheapie spacers with my JK and its fine because i dont do much off road, fully flexed out crawling where the spacer may come unseated. and the onroad handle is awesome compared to other rigs ive had.
The purpose why I installed the BL was for the clearance of the 37s tires, in fact, the BL is a great way for fitting the larger tires. But it will only lift the vehicle's body not the frame, so that the bumpers will remain in the current height.

After I installed the BL, I successful fitted my new 37s tires, and there are still rooms between the fenders, but the distance between the tires and bumpers were unchanged.

Today, I was climbing a small rock but too bad I twisted my rear steel bumper with my left rear tire, in fact, I wish my rear bumper was little bit higher. Maybe there are many reasons caused this problem, but from what I saw was the height of the rear bumper.

By the way, my suspension lift is 3.5" Rubicon Express with Tereflex Monster arms.

Last edited by sanyezhong; 05-12-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by imack606
BADASS. What kinda bumper? Well if you pull the BL out and want to sell it, let me know!
My rear bumper is from Mopar, 4mm thick steel wall, very strong, I am going to fix it soon.
I will make a new post if I want to sell the BL kit.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by planman
I would not do the coil spacers.

The addition of coil spacers will make no difference in rubbing while off roading. Only longer bumpstops will. If you remove the body lift, you will have to run taller bumpstops.
This is not entirely true... there are scenarios where the spacer will prevent rubbing. For example, on the rusty's lift that i have, I only rub at full compression. when I added spacers, I no longer had rubbing. This is because the spring is completely compressed. So moving that down one inch adds one inch of clearance. Since rusty's springs don't over compress, I don't have to worry about that factor.

That said, some springs will over compress and damage your springs and a bump stop will prevent that damage from occurring. So talk to the spring manufacture about over compression before making a decision.

Just a side note... by adding a bump stop, you can increase your shock length thus increase your articulation. a 3 inch lift can use a 25 inch shock... I can go to 28 inch shock with a 1.5 inch bump stop and gain 1.5 inches of total travel.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

The reason I want to add coil spacers is get my frame higher, so that the bumpers will not make any contact with the tires when the vehicle is doing the full flex wheeling.
With my 1" BL installed, I think the rooms between the tires and fenders are okay(18cm-20cm), but the distance between the tires and bumpers are not enough I think. ( I just got my rear bumper twisted by my rear left side tire).
In fact, I am satisfied with my current lift height, I just want to get the bumpers issue solved so that I can go for rocks again.
To upgrade the bump stops, what are the best bump stops for me, however, the bump stops I am using were from the 3.5" lift kit itself, Do I still need to add higher bump stops?

Quick Reply: Which brand of coil spacers is best for my current lift?