Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Brand new supercharger from RIPP sounds really bad please give advice

Old 02-01-2020, 08:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new supercharger from RIPP sounds really bad please give advice

I had a brand new Ripp supercharger generation 3 installed brought it home I get an error code of p0562 okay now the car dies on me that's one thing when I started the car back up I hear a loud bearing noise not a whining noise but bearing noise I drive it into my driveway get out of the vehicle and I here at the head unit of the Ripp supercharger sounds like marbles which means bearings how can this happen when the car is new when the system is newly-installed anybody has any advice this was installed by a licensed mechanic a shop that's known for modifications now they have the vehicle back in their hands again and scratching their heads so apparently I'm dealing with idiots. can anyone point me in the right direction as I'm getting mixed reviews from experts basically they said this person more than likely damaged or didn't put enough oil in the supercharger.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 469 Likes on 421 Posts

Going to ask a dumb question here. Did the shop ensure there was oil in the supercharger as they should know? They have their own reservoir of oil IE no engine oil lubricates these superchargers. You change the oil with each engine oil change. The code may have been thrown due to a stock sensor not liking the boost pressure you get now.
Superchargers added to engines not designed and produced for them are not just a simple bolt on. Ask the shop if they changed injectors, some sensors (some only work on vacuum not vacuum/pressure), did they revise the program? More fuel required with more air so bigger hole needed to squirt the fuel through? Just as for me with my Chev conversion, you may have to get your own ECM access for read/write and learn about it. Then there is that learning curve.
Hopefully I have given you some ideas to make things better.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 358 Likes on 334 Posts

Did you purchase the supercharger from the shop that did the install? If RIPP has a dipstick on the fill hole plug better check for the special oil... You Should be looking to the shop that installed.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nyserge
I had a brand new Ripp supercharger generation 3 installed brought it home I get an error code of p0562 okay now the car dies on me that's one thing when I started the car back up I hear a loud bearing noise not a whining noise but bearing noise I drive it into my driveway get out of the vehicle and I here at the head unit of the Ripp supercharger sounds like marbles which means bearings how can this happen when the car is new when the system is newly-installed anybody has any advice this was installed by a licensed mechanic a shop that's known for modifications now they have the vehicle back in their hands again and scratching their heads so apparently I'm dealing with idiots. can anyone point me in the right direction as I'm getting mixed reviews from experts basically they said this person more than likely damaged or didn't put enough oil in the supercharger.
I have the same noise problem. It is totally ridiculous. I checked the level of lubricant in the supercharger and it is good. Ensured the oil level in the Gladiator (2020) is good and even had it changed to ensure I had the recommend 5/40 synthetic and still as noisy as ever. If I had known this was an issue, wouldn't have made the purchase. Wouldn't mind a bit of noise but this is way too much. Going to see if I can have it replaced with a different brand or just take it out.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 469 Likes on 421 Posts

Jaimie- you say 5/40 oil in the Gladiator. Was that the JT engine or the supercharger reservoir you were talking about? Don't know where the OP went.

Forced induction on stock vehicles is a nightmare at best. Never seen too many successful installs insofar as longevity and daily driver ability concerned. Temptation is always there to floor it and that takes it's toll on engines not manufactured for that service duty. Personally if I wanted more HP from a 3.6 I would look at cams/cam timing, exhaust, larger throttle body and fueling and leave FI alone. There is a computer there to play with. The industry takes the easy route by using these superchargers and installing them. Then the customer gets to deal with it.
And just to end - I had the 3.8 and that did need more HP so instead of doing up that engine I bit the bullet and installed the Chev I have in now. Daily driver, reliable, more fuel efficient, bone stock, cost a lot to do, worth it and quicker than a new Tundra. Sorry for the rant but we see these posts many times about blowers and it is difficult to assist the forum members with these issues.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
Jaimie- you say 5/40 oil in the Gladiator. Was that the JT engine or the supercharger reservoir you were talking about? Don't know where the OP went.

Forced induction on stock vehicles is a nightmare at best. Never seen too many successful installs insofar as longevity and daily driver ability concerned. Temptation is always there to floor it and that takes it's toll on engines not manufactured for that service duty. Personally if I wanted more HP from a 3.6 I would look at cams/cam timing, exhaust, larger throttle body and fueling and leave FI alone. There is a computer there to play with. The industry takes the easy route by using these superchargers and installing them. Then the customer gets to deal with it.
And just to end - I had the 3.8 and that did need more HP so instead of doing up that engine I bit the bullet and installed the Chev I have in now. Daily driver, reliable, more fuel efficient, bone stock, cost a lot to do, worth it and quicker than a new Tundra. Sorry for the rant but we see these posts many times about blowers and it is difficult to assist the forum members with these issues.
Thanks for the info. I might consider that route. Do you mind if I ask you to email the details for your install? I was referring to the engine oil which was suggested by RIPP. I'm working with the shop that did the install and trying to undo this mess...Might just go back to stock. I don't have many miles on the install...thx again.

Quick Reply: Brand new supercharger from RIPP sounds really bad please give advice