Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

broken rear diff cover bolt

Old 08-13-2008, 10:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken rear diff cover bolt

well i was installing skyjackers rear track bar relo. brkt and their rear track bar bracket brace which ties into the top 3 bolts to the diff cover. the center top bolt that came with the brace (3 in total which are longer) i was screwing it in and it got tight and was not seated so i just kept tightening and snap half of it is in the diff. my queston is can that bolt be drilled out and the hole re-tapped?
Old 08-13-2008, 10:46 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Drilling oughtta be a last resort. If there is any of the bolt stickin out, you could try vise grips. In any event, the best idea will be to remove the cover, so you can access the bolt better. If it's broken flush, or below the surface, someone who is GOOD with a MIG or TIG welder can get it out VERY easily. All they need to do is build up some weld on the bolt to get it at or just above the surface and then MIG or TIG another bolt on the end then screw it out. If I had a nickle for every one I've done, I'd be rich.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi! Sorry about your misfortune. A very simple tool that works well is an "easy-out". You drill a hole in the center of the broken bolt and thread this into the hole. It has a "reverse twist" so it digs into the bolt and lossens (sp) it and backs it out. I carry a set of these in the Jeep with hopes that I won't need them but they are there if I (or someone else) may. Good luck... Mike
Old 08-14-2008, 03:59 PM
JK Jedi

A word to the wise about the ease out. If the bolt is anything more than snug, the ease out will cause the bolt to expand whats left of the bolt and cause it to sieze in the bolt hole usually breaking the ease out off. You think you got trouble now. Break off an ease out, and see how hard THAT is to drill through.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

make sure that you put all the washers on when you do put it back together
Old 08-14-2008, 05:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
A word to the wise about the ease out. If the bolt is anything more than snug, the ease out will cause the bolt to expand whats left of the bolt and cause it to sieze in the bolt hole usually breaking the ease out off. You think you got trouble now. Break off an ease out, and see how hard THAT is to drill through.
i agree. i like the weld idea better. plus anything called easyout cant be all that easy
Old 08-14-2008, 05:25 PM
JK Freak

Easy-outs work. center punch the broken bolt use a small drill bit to start . Then use a larger one and then the easy out. You should be fine, just take your time. Be sure to purchase a quality easy out are you might brake it off in the bolt.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:31 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by HITMONEY
I have used easy outs more times than I can remember, 99% of the time it goes just as described.. "easy". The other 1% of the time, especially if you snap the easy out while it is inserted, will make you wish you were never conceived.

Try drilling an easy out out. Not fun.

Absolutely...they have their place. I wasn't trying to condem the idea altogether. It may even be possible to tap the bolt lightly with a hammer and punch and back it out. Probably not, but maybe. I have had it happen. I have also been successful with ease outs.....and not so successful. When I discovered the mig/tig idea, I never looked back and have been doing it that way ever since.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Absolutely...they have their place. I wasn't trying to condem the idea altogether. It may even be possible to tap the bolt lightly with a hammer and punch and back it out. Probably not, but maybe. I have had it happen. I have also been successful with ease outs.....and not so successful. When I discovered the mig/tig idea, I never looked back and have been doing it that way ever since.
A punch works well if it's not to tight, but sounds like this ones set pretty solid. However I would try that first. Could get lucky.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree about the eas E outs. Some are better than others. Do not get ones that have a lot of left had threads on them.

Another option that has worked well for me has been to use left hand fluted drill bits. These turn and cut going counterclockwise! Have had lots of bolts come right out with them.

Wishing you well!

Quick Reply: broken rear diff cover bolt