Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget tailgate fix ordered. Mor/Ryde hinges and MBRP re-inforcment.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by neZZr
any idea what is required to replace it? It looks like the whole sub will have to come out?

I think if you look at the picture above, some of that white plastic retainer material is broken and missing. So even once I get it started it jams somehow.
The subwoofer enclosure has to be removed to access the bolts that hold the check mechanism in place. To remove it:

1. Pop the cover off where the seat belt goes down in front of the roll bar.
2. There's another cover at the back of the roll bar, pop that off too.
3. There's a nut at the front base of the roll bar that has to be removed.
4. The two tie-downs in the floor need to be removed.
5. Then the subwoofer enclosure can be removed. The plug that connects the sub to the body wiring harness needs to be unplugged to remove the enclosure.

I think that's all the steps, I'm typing this from memory. A Google search should turn up some photos of the steps. BTW it's possible your year is different than the ones I've worked on because the ones I've worked on don't have the small access cover where the stay strap goes into the check mechanism, on earlier models you have to remove the subwoofer enclosure just to get at the check mechanism to pop the strap back in, notice in the video I posted the enclosure is completely removed.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I definitely broke the inner part of the check. I bent the rod back into shape but it just won't go all the way in. Here's a video of what happens.

https://youtu.be/9BR2A7Ee6sU
Old 06-14-2016, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe I've had my new hinges on for about a year. The first 5-6 months were rattle free with the tailgate. The last half the rattle started up again as if I still had the factory hinges on. About a month ago I noticed the inside of my tailgate was chipping in various places. Then last night I noticed two dimples by the hinges. I adjusted the bolts but the dimples did not move. Anyone else had a similar problem?

The hinges themselves look great still, by the way.

KCCO
Old 06-14-2016, 08:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rtittsworth
I believe I've had my new hinges on for about a year. The first 5-6 months were rattle free with the tailgate. The last half the rattle started up again as if I still had the factory hinges on. About a month ago I noticed the inside of my tailgate was chipping in various places. Then last night I noticed two dimples by the hinges. I adjusted the bolts but the dimples did not move. Anyone else had a similar problem?

The hinges themselves look great still, by the way.

KCCO
You didn't specify exactly which tire you've got, your signature says 315 R70/17 Hankook's - I believe all the Hankooks of that size are 8-ply tires? If so, it weighs about 67.5 pounds. The stock tire weighs roughly 42 pounds, or about 25 pounds less than your Hankook. For a tire that heavy it would really be a good idea to have a tailgate reinforcement in addition to the HD hinges. The hinges are stronger than the factory hinges and won't wear/loosen like the factory ones will, but a tire that heavy will stress the sheet metal of the tailgate and over time tailgate damage could occur, even with the stronger hinges. It may be that the dimples are signs of sheet metal stress.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:01 AM
JK Newbie

I thought I would mention my experience contacting MORryde.

During all my fiddling, I managed to strip out one of the screws that mount the hinges to the body tub. It was my fault, I realized after the fact that I was using the wrong size hex socket. I called MORryde, told them what I needed and why, and MORryde sent me a replacement hardware kit, no charge. Can't complain about that!

On another note, I really feel like there has to be a better way to stop the gate from opening too far without damaging the powdercoat with metal-to-metal contact... I have a simple fix in the works, which I'll share once I'm done and see it it helps.

While I'm here... Any word on the "StoreGate?" Looks interesting.

Last edited by neZZr; 06-16-2016 at 04:03 AM.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by neZZr
...While I'm here... Any word on the "StoreGate?" Looks interesting.
What I'm told: the StoreGate product was supposed to be on the market last month. There was a small complication with the company that's molding the shell, which hopefully has been resolved, so hopefully the company that'll be marketing it will make an announcement soon.

This is a photo of a preproduction unit, I'm told that the production version may have a black powdercoated door instead of bright aluminum.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I attempted to order up some of the nut plates but at $36 each (shipped) I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Welding a shock mount washer to a smaller diameter washer and burning a nut on the backside allows you the same flexibility.

I reached out to Ryan at MR and it took a solid month for him to get back with a piece that went from "absolutely impossible" to "a few bucks" to "$36 each, shipped".

So the nut plates- I used an old piece of a hitch carrier and bolted the top and bottom hinges together at the hinge so I've now got a nice and high spot to mount my hammock. It could have been another accessory for them to sell but the cost through MR wasn't worth the price of the piece.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I attempted to order up some of the nut plates but at $36 each (shipped) I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Welding a shock mount washer to a smaller diameter washer and burning a nut on the backside allows you the same flexibility.

I reached out to Ryan at MR and it took a solid month for him to get back with a piece that went from "absolutely impossible" to "a few bucks" to "$36 each, shipped".

So the nut plates- I used an old piece of a hitch carrier and bolted the top and bottom hinges together at the hinge so I've now got a nice and high spot to mount my hammock. It could have been another accessory for them to sell but the cost through MR wasn't worth the price of the piece.
Photos?
Old 06-19-2016, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

It's too hot to set up the hammock today but this should show you where I am. I can re-use this configuration, add another eye bolt to it, and instantly have a place to store my strap while I'm on the beach- easy access and minimal sand inside the jeep.

I'm open to suggestions! And if the holes had been measured a little better on my part then the square stock would have been vertical but the slight angle doesn't bother me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160619_120136.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	650141

Name:	20160619_120204.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	650142
Old 06-21-2016, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I already had an oversized tire carrier for my 35s, but all that weight was still resting on stock hinges. I thought I'd just try the heavy duty hinges to start. Wow! So far so good. I've been over some rough stuff and my tailgate is dead silent. Digging this upgrade so far!

Name:	image-739287277.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	472.5 KB
ID:	650320

Quick Reply: Budget tailgate fix ordered. Mor/Ryde hinges and MBRP re-inforcment.