Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Built dana44 front vs prorock

Old 12-02-2016, 10:23 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Welding to cast requires special process with special rod, was yours done that way? I know Andy know how to weld but if just done with a standard mig or stick then the weld on the cast will be brittle and will crack out over time.

Still even if you area correctly welded at the differential the weak link is still the thin material that bridges the differential.
I can ask you the same thing, show me the data that shows the "truss" is strengthening the axle.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
show me the data that shows the "truss" is strengthening the axle.
Is there an echo in here?

That's what I'm hoping to find out. I have sent an email to Artec to see if they have any engineering data. My guess is they don't, but still, for the money, I do gain something and something is better than nothing. I don't have deep pockets.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:39 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Which bridge would you driver over with a heavy load?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
bridge.pdf (5.3 KB, 48 views)
Old 12-02-2016, 11:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Which bridge would you driver over with a heavy load?
This graphic is invalid to your analogy. You are making an assumption that there is no center support, which has already been disproved. Or you are suggesting the center section is every bit as weak and flexible as the tube. Really? Since any properly installed truss is welded to the center section, your illustration proves nothing. The comparison between stock and a truss is more like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stock vs truss.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	662000

Which one would you rather drive over? Remember, you said a truss was throwing away money. We are not trying to argue the difference between a trussed 44 and an aftermarket housing.

And, as expected, Artec could not provide any engineering data, but did provide some anecdotal evidence.

We do not have any engineering data, but the reason we are stronger is we are creating a superstructure on the axle which helps minimize flex. This is achieved by collaring in all of the factory mounts and creating a bridge across the top of the axle to reduce stresses cause by forces in everyday driving as well as excessive offroading.

Think of it like building a bridge, Just the roadway is fine, but how do you support it? One of the most basic ways is a truss. The engineering principles are the same for an axle.

we ran our Artecon with a Dana 30 front axle and 40's for a year and a half on some of the toughest wheeling spots in the US without any axle failure. That axle was sold after we took it off and is still nailing trails today.
It is still my OPINION, that a trussed and gussets 44 is much stronger than a stock housing. Maybe some day someone will do some real experiments or crunch all the numbers to prove or disprove this assumption. How it compares to an aftermarket housing would be interesting, too, although I do not expect the same assumption to hold up there.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is unfortunate that there really aren't any legit JK trusses. A one piece design like you'd see on D60s, etc, deal with the felx issue Dirtman mentions.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only housing support I would consider welding on to a stock housing is an outer sleeve just for the fact it increases the OD of the housing to 3" I believe. I believe rockslide engineering is the only company that makes one of these. Cost about the same as a truss
Old 12-02-2016, 11:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welding to cast requires special process with special rod, was yours done that way? .
Can you please explain? I thought only cast iron required special rod - not cast steel.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:18 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by sea bass
Can you please explain? I thought only cast iron required special rod - not cast steel.
I've read that some or all of the D30s are nodular iron. I believe all D44s are cast steel. The trusses I have welded to D30s weld like crap if not pre-heated, suggesting it is not cast steel. I never bothered to test it though.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
I've read that some or all of the D30s are nodular iron. I believe all D44s are cast steel. The trusses I have welded to D30s weld like crap if not pre-heated, suggesting it is not cast steel. I never bothered to test it though.
I had a couple buddies hanging out with me while I was welding on my truss. One is a weld instructor while the other 2 have been boilermakers for the last 10 years. They all 3 agreed the center section was cast steel, not iron. They also all agreed that the penetration of my welds into the center were sufficient, although there was actual testing done. I have a buddy who is a non-destructive tester, when I eventually get a 1 ton under my front I will have him check it. I will say that I have no clue how artec ran 40s on a 30 for so long, with no issues. Unless they were referring to strictly tube/housing failure in their statement.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
I had a couple buddies hanging out with me while I was welding on my truss. One is a weld instructor while the other 2 have been boilermakers for the last 10 years. They all 3 agreed the center section was cast steel, not iron. They also all agreed that the penetration of my welds into the center were sufficient, although there was actual testing done. I have a buddy who is a non-destructive tester, when I eventually get a 1 ton under my front I will have him check it. I will say that I have no clue how artec ran 40s on a 30 for so long, with no issues. Unless they were referring to strictly tube/housing failure in their statement.

Also, you can certainly mig cast iron. Here's an example of some composite core wire that is about 50% iron and 50% nickel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1519869071.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	662005  

Quick Reply: Built dana44 front vs prorock