Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bump steer

Old 02-14-2017, 02:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bump steer

It seems I have quite a bit of bump steer but I don't have a lift. The only mod so far is new wheels and 35 inch tires.

I thought it was just from the stiff factory suspension but it's seems to be getting worse with every decent bump I hit.

Is there any front end component that fix this? If so what's a good brand? Thanks guys
Old 02-14-2017, 03:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many miles on the JK? It could be that a tie rod end is dying, the drag link could be loosey-goosey and allowing bumps to make directional changes. The track bar could be allowing the front axle to move left/right and causing it. It's all suspect. Ball joints can allow the knuckle to shift. Time to get out the pry bars and start fishing!
Old 02-14-2017, 03:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Don't know what year your vehicle is. Perhaps you have a worn component. Check this out:

Jeep Wrangler JK 2007 to Present Suspension Performance Diagnostic Guide - Jk-Forum
Old 02-14-2017, 05:11 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by No401(J)K
It seems I have quite a bit of bump steer but I don't have a lift.
Worn out joints are the great equalizer regardless of stock or lifted. Time to get acquainted with your steering system, and the best place to start is with the advice/link above. I'd only add that you're on the right track realizing there is an issue and trying to address it. These things don't get better with time.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:48 AM
JK Newbie

It's a 2008 with 54000 on it. Looks like I have some reading to do tonight
Old 02-14-2017, 07:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

It's a 2008 with 54000 on it. Looks like I have some reading to do tonight
I could see a lot of factory parts wearing out about that time. My $5 first guess is going to be ball joint on one side or the other.....with the DL being my second guess. Do you notice the bump steer being worse depending on which front wheel (driver or passenger) hits the bump or pothole?
Old 02-14-2017, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I could see a lot of factory parts wearing out about that time. My $5 first guess is going to be ball joint on one side or the other.....with the DL being my second guess. Do you notice the bump steer being worse depending on which front wheel (driver or passenger) hits the bump or pothole?
Not really. Both sides jerk the steering wheel pretty good
Old 02-15-2017, 06:18 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Not really. Both sides jerk the steering wheel pretty good
Fair enough. Review the material presented in the posts above and ask further questions if you need to or if you're still not sure what you're looking for (ie. what a bad joint might look like when testing). I'd note that dealers and often times 4WD shops aren't all that useful trying to help diagnose these things, so the best solution is to gain an understanding of your components yourself.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bump steer

All,

I am having a similar issue where i hit a bump and the tires and steering wheel wobbles out of control and feels like the passenger tire could fall off. The shaking starts small and then gets worse very quickly. I have to slow to 25mph in order to make them straighten out. Any ideas?

Replaced:
Old Man Emu trackbar 3 years ago
Synergy drag link flip kit 2 years ago
Rock Krawler pro tie rod 1 year ago

Last edited by alphawolff; 02-18-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by alphawolff
All,

I am having a similar issue where i hit a bump and the tires and steering wheel wobbles out of control and feels like the passenger tire could fall off. The shaking starts small and then gets worse very quickly. I have to slow to 25mph in order to make them straighten out. Any ideas?

Replaced:
Old Man Emu trackbar 3 years ago
Synergy drag link flip kit 2 years ago
Rock Krawler pro tie rod 1 year ago
Sounds like death wobble. Something is loose in your front end or you need a serious alignment.

Quick Reply: Bump steer