Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bump Stop with Flipped Drag Link

Old 03-23-2018, 06:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bump Stop with Flipped Drag Link

I am getting ready for my 5,000 mile road trip this summer and now that it is slightly nicer outside I am working on the Jeep again. At the end of last year I added a flipped drag link and I needed to make sure I had the correct bump stop in the front which turned out to be about 2.75". I have read a lot of posts about people having to add a lot of bump stop or notching the frame and I wanted to comment on how I came about this number and add a data point for others as a reference.

First some details on my setup that I think are pertinent to this topic.
Coils for 3" lift plus a 3/4" spacer
Aftermarket front Dana 44 with a 4 position axle side track bar mount..
BFG KM2 35x12.5R15 tires
Flipped drag link

I removed both springs in the front and when I went to full stuff I was surprised to find that the track bar hit the frame before the drag link did. I suppose this would happen even if I was not running the track bar in the top position because the track bar end only protrudes about a quarter inch above the bracket so the bracket would hit the frame as well. The drag link was close to hitting but I did still have some wiggle room, sorry but I don't remember exactly how much. I have read that some people use axle side track bar brackets on stock 30/44's that do the same thing and raise the mounting position of the track bar, I am guessing that they run into this same situation where the mount hits the frame as well??

Anyway, it would be nice if I could have got away with a little less bump but I don't think that 2.75" is that horrible. I welcome any comments you may have.

B
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo19.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	753.8 KB
ID:	676982   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo788.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	700.2 KB
ID:	676983   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo245.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	932.5 KB
ID:	676984  
Old 03-23-2018, 07:30 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Typcically you add 3.5" of bump stop and you could check it with the passenger side stuffed and the driver side fully drooped not just stuff both sides. How much lift or spacers has nothing to do with how much bump stop it is really the shock length, the longer the shock travel the more bump you need.

Quick Reply: Bump Stop with Flipped Drag Link