Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bumper of Shame

Old 12-03-2008, 11:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumper of Shame

Yes, I'm ashamed of how this aluminum fairlead hawse fits on this ARB Deluxe bumper (see pics below). When I bought the bumper, I thought there would be a mounting plate or something included in the parts which would allow installation of a fairlead hawse , but there wasn't. Checking on the web, it appears I can only use a fairlead roller (delrin) with this bumper - unless someone knows otherwise. The Superwinch I purchased came with synthetic rope, and the hawse.

Can anyone provide input/advice as to what my options might be if I try to use the parts I have? Thanks.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Doesn't look terrible....but I understand how you feel. Is there any way you could get something to fill in the space and mount the lead over it????
Old 12-03-2008, 12:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that Daystar has some unique replacement rollers for a fairlead to be used with synthetic line. They even have a groove in the center to help keep the line from getting pinched.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do you have a friend who welds or does any work with steel plate? You could build something real cheep and easy. Reinforce it and weld it into place. Grab some Dupicolor truck be coating and clean it up. If this is not an option, I think the Fairlead mentioned below( http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...=VIKING-ROLLER ) looks sweet, especially in black. Also with a synthetic line you wouldn't need to worry about taking off the coating. If the Bumpers made for a fair lead go with it, don't fight. IMO

Yes, I'm ashamed of how this aluminum fairlead hawse fits on this ARB Deluxe bumper (see pics below). When I bought the bumper, I thought there would be a mounting plate or something included in the parts which would allow installation of a fairlead hawse , but there wasn't. Checking on the web, it appears I can only use a fairlead roller (delrin) with this bumper - unless someone knows otherwise. The Superwinch I purchased came with synthetic rope, and the hawse.

Can anyone provide input/advice as to what my options might be if I try to use the parts I have? Thanks.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont see a problem there. It will look fine once you have the line on there and the winch behind it.

Remember with synthetic line you dont want any part of the bumper to rub on the line so more the better to be honest.

David
Old 12-03-2008, 01:04 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks everyone for the replies thus far.

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
Remember with synthetic line you don't want any part of the bumper to rub on the line so more the better to be honest.

David
Not sure I'm following you here - I understand the part about not wanting the line to rub, but I'm lost on the "more the better" part. More fairlead (i.e., Larger . . . like some of the folks have posted upstream)?

Originally Posted by Leonard Massi
If the Bumpers made for a fair lead go with it, don't fight.
This is a nice looking Fairlead. I think you guys may be right re "fighting it". I think this ARB bumper is designed to have a "traditional" fairlead recessed into it when installed. Does anyone know?

Originally Posted by dlud51
Doesn't look terrible....but I understand how you feel. Is there any way you could get something to fill in the space and mount the lead over it????
My concern about adding a hawse mounting plate/bracket to cover the cutout on the front of the bumper is that then I would have the tight rectangular cutout right behind it (see last pic showing veiw from the back). It might be possible for the line to rub the edges there. For a moment, I thought about using two hawses, but then came to my senses.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get some hinges and mount your license plate over it.........it actually looks good and recessed like it is it makes a perfect spot to put the license plate over it......it will almost look custom!!!!
Old 12-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure I'm following you here - I understand the part about not wanting the line to rub, but I'm lost on the "more the better" part. More fairlead (i.e., Larger . . . like some of the folks have posted upstream
Yeah I dont understand what I said either

The main thing is to make sure the edge of the inside of the bumper is not touching the line. I think it looks great by the way.

David
Old 12-03-2008, 01:39 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 09rubicon
Get some hinges and mount your license plate over it.........it actually looks good and recessed like it is it makes a perfect spot to put the license plate over it......it will almost look custom!!!!
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. The license plate idea does sound tempting, although since my state doesn't require them on the front, I'd be able to add a tag of my choice. Hmmm.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Lightbulb Your Jeep Your Choice

I think that Northridge 4X4 has a point about the line. Not something you want to break, especially if you're pulling a big load or getting yourself unstuck. Sometimes the designers know what they're doing. I think your blue "super winch" is designed to be a front flush mount, not a recessed mount. If it were mine, and I do have a fairlead out front of mine, I'd go with the fairlead. Here's a pic you can kinda see what I mean. Click the picture to see larger: