Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Poll: Bumpers - stubby vs. full width
Stubby
64.89%
Full width
35.11%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Bumpers - stubby vs. full width

Old 04-25-2007, 06:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumpers - stubby vs. full width

Which type of bumper do you prefer? Stubby or full width? Why?
Old 04-25-2007, 06:54 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, first off I like the way the stubby bumpers look-- being able to see the front tires gives it a more aggressive appearance, IMO. And some of the full width bumpers are a little too busy for my taste. Beyond looks, your approach angle is much better with a stubby, so you can get over bigger rocks and ruts. It's also nice when you're parallel parking.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PURE JEEP STUBBY simple and to the point.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-25-2007, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like them both but i am really like the mix between the two with the LOD just need a bull bar listening LOD???
Old 04-25-2007, 08:10 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Txhrns08
I like them both but i am really like the mix between the two with the LOD just need a bull bar listening LOD???
LoD is working on one but if you contact Burnsville Off Road, they've got one now made specifically for the LoD bumper...

Old 04-25-2007, 08:20 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrews
Which type of bumper do you prefer? Stubby or full width? Why?
If you wheel your Jeep and plan on modifying it to optimize its performance on the trail, there simply is no substitute for a stubby. With a design based on its usefulness and not on how it looks, a stubby will provide an unobstructed approach for your front tires allowing you to nose a corner of your Jeep right up to a big obstical, place your tread on it and then climb up and over it. You literally get close to a 90° approach with stock tires. With a full width bumper, you'd be lucky to get a 45°-50° approach even with larger tires.

Need I say, for my purposes, I'd take a stubby anyday of the week. Hell, I'd rather go wheeling without any bumper over a full width bumper for that matter. In my experience, looks can only take you so far on the trail. But then, that's just me

Last edited by wayoflife; 04-25-2007 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like something in between. i want a little more front end protection, but i want it short enough that i can still turn a tire a little and get tread on an obstacle.

change your poll!
Old 04-26-2007, 01:44 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stubby gets my vote.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
LoD is working on one but if you contact Burnsville Off Road, they've got one now made specifically for the LoD bumper...
That looks pretty good. Any word on if LoD is making it a part of the bumper or if it's a bolt on like the Burnsville Off Road one. I've been holding off on ordering the front bumper, waiting to see what they come up with. If it's something you can order later and bolt to the bumper, I might as well order up the bumper now (man...I hope my wife doesnt read this )
Old 08-25-2007, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

Question

Stubby gets my vote.
I'm ready to buy a bump now.
I realy like the PJ stubby, and have no use for a winch, but really like the bull bar idea.
Is thier a bump where I can get the best of both worlds w/out a big hloe for a winch?

Quick Reply: Bumpers - stubby vs. full width