Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Busted driveshaft !!! Help!!

Old 10-22-2009, 12:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Busted driveshaft !!! Help!!

Hello,
At about 22,000 miles I had the rear driveshaft replaced by the dealership and they covered it under warranty. Stone Mountain Dodge Chrysler Jeep was wonderful to deal with and even corrected a few other items under warranty while they had it. Now at 32,000 miles it is back in the shop but this time it is at Hayes Chryler Jeep in Lawrenceville. They are telling me they are going to have to replace the rear drive shaft again and that it won't be covered under warranty because the lift kit is putting to much of an angle on the driveshaft.

Has anyone had any experience with this or have any suggestions as to how I can get them to cover it under warranty?

HELP!!!!!!

THANKS!!!!!!!!

Old 10-22-2009, 12:56 PM
JK Jedi Master

yeah, buy a replacement JE Reel or Coast driveshaft.

Dont let them put that junk back on your jeep. It'll just happen again..

and no, they really shouldnt cover this, the lift caused the damage
Old 10-22-2009, 12:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Umm... Put your Jeep in 4wd and go back to the first dealership that replaced it under warranty. Seriously. Or get a tow truck to bring the Jeep.

Honestly, lifts can -- and depending on height do -- increase the angle and stress of the JK driveshafts. So in a sense they are right. But they also need to prove it was the lift that caused the broken shaft.

What I would do is bring my JK back home and keep it in the garage and order a new aftermarket driveshaft that can handle a lift and is not made out of crap.

There are your options from my point of view.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
yeah, buy a replacement JE Reel or Coast driveshaft.

Dont let them put that junk back on your jeep. It'll just happen again..

and no, they really shouldnt cover this, the lift caused the damage
Sorry to hear that bksnyder2,

My question to Piginajeep or anyone else that might know is a) how to prevent that from happening to any other Jeep and b) how does the lift cause stress on the driveshaft?
Old 10-22-2009, 12:59 PM
JK Jedi Master

If the omix lift does not have adjustable arms your going to need to buy atleast a set of uppers to adjust your pinion angle.

If you dont have the cash, check out the for sale section for a used driveshaft until you can afford the parts.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Just wanted to give PiginaJeep credit for beating me to my answer by a minute. OP, you have your answers.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:03 PM
JK Freak

From what I understand, its less of an issue of the stock shaft being STRONG ENOUGH for the lift and more of a clearance issue. Aftermarket shafts are much smaller in diameter and therefore don't have clearance issues.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:04 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Jusebochs
Sorry to hear that bksnyder2,

My question to Piginajeep or anyone else that might know is a) how to prevent that from happening to any other Jeep and b) how does the lift cause stress on the driveshaft?
yes, on the 2 door, the rear shaft is at an extreme angle. When flexing, it pinches the bearings in the boot. If you buy adjustable arms, it'll correct the problem. But you really need to by a new after market driveshaft. The only way to solve the problem is a new shaft and Adjustable control arms...

My stock shaft lasted 6,000 miles in my first JK, I didnt give it time to break on my second one.

Last edited by Piginajeep; 10-22-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:11 PM
-

As you said, the 2 door has this issue with over 2.5" lift cause its short, the 4 doors can handle it. Its the angle that is the problem for the rear shaft for 2 doors.

The issue of size/rubbing is for the front shaft on automatic transmission. (If I got it right ?)
Old 10-22-2009, 01:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
yes, on the 2 door, the rear shaft is at an extreme angle. When flexing, it pinches the bearings in the boot. If you buy adjustable arms, it'll correct the problem. But you really need to by a new after market driveshaft. The only way to solve the problem is a new shaft and Adjustable control arms...

My stock shaft lasted 6,000 miles in my first JK, I didnt give it time to break on my second one.

Just to clarify for everyone, including myself, so let me know if this is correct: the upper control arms are what will adjust your axle to help with correcting the angle of the driveshaft, correct?

Quick Reply: Busted driveshaft !!! Help!!