Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

CAI and high altidude

Old 10-03-2012, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI and high altidude

Have read many post on many forums debating the advantages/disadvantages of a CAI. My question is...Would living at high altitude help the JK breathe better because of the CAI? I live at 5,290 feet and that's before I even think of heading out to the mountains for hunting or metal detecting. Two reasons I think the CAI would help is that I added CAI's to my daughter's Juke and a 4.7 Dakota. They both really came to live. Is it because both of those factory intakes were so bad anything would have helped or are there real benefits in using a CAI in high altitudes?? I don't know. Your thoughts.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Altitude has nothing to do with a cold air intake. Typically all a cold air intake does is smooth out the air intake path and draw air from a colder source. There is power to be gained there for you. The question is does the power gain warrant the price tag for you?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Only way I know of to compensate for high altitude is a supercharger or turbocharger.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:10 AM
JK Freak

The power difference wouldn't be that noticeable having a CAI at different altitudes. The difference is mostly noticed when going from stock to CAI. I would say do it. They only cost a few hundred bucks these days, and they're pretty straightforward. It would also help if you got a tuner/programmer so you can actually tune your jeep for driving in certain conditions such as you're concerned for.

If you feel dissatisfied with the performance after, there's alway more you can do like new exhaust system and such.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

http://youtu.be/gCi2yo4UqPI

Watch this before you go spending money
Old 10-03-2012, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I live at 5950 ft and just picked up a used K&N CAI. My mileage has gone down so far after only 1 week of use. I have a feeling that is because I am driving it differently right now. My wife says it sounds like a "wookie" at full throttle. It doesn't feel any faster but it seems like it feels a little better at part throttle situations. There is a hill that I am lucky to maintain same speed in 4th gear; but now I can accelerate a little bit going up the same hill in 4th gear with the K&N. If I had to pay full price then I would say NO!

Rob

Quick Reply: CAI and high altidude