Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam position sensor and traction control lights, activate limp mode, help!

Old 05-17-2019, 06:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2013 sport, problem happened on mine at 88,000 miles, took into dealer, they checked sensor, it was okay, checked wiring harness it was okay, checked galley bolts and one had completely backed out and was in oil pan, fix this but it didnt fix the problem, changing out cam phaser now, will let you know if that fixes it
Old 05-23-2019, 05:55 PM
JK Newbie

Did it work?
Old 12-04-2020, 09:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SteelBlue Wrangler
I have a 2013 sport, problem happened on mine at 88,000 miles, took into dealer, they checked sensor, it was okay, checked wiring harness it was okay, checked galley bolts and one had completely backed out and was in oil pan, fix this but it didnt fix the problem, changing out cam phaser now, will let you know if that fixes it
What was your fix? Having the same issue.

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:32 AM
JK Newbie

Long time reader first post.
Im with BadInfluence.. just happened for the second time today, happened about two months ago. I disconnected my battery cables for a few minutes the first time. After scanning with JSCAN i got the following codes
P0339 camshaft position
P0306 cyl 6 misfire
C121C torque request not possible
P2638 torque management feedback signal
Really stumped at the point
Old 12-04-2022, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Derek Hamby
Long time reader first post.
Im with BadInfluence.. just happened for the second time today, happened about two months ago. I disconnected my battery cables for a few minutes the first time. After scanning with JSCAN i got the following codes
P0339 camshaft position
P0306 cyl 6 misfire
C121C torque request not possible
P2638 torque management feedback signal
Really stumped at the point
It really seems like there are a lot of us that are having the same issue. I've been dealing with this for almost a year now. I've learned to deal with it bc nothing I do will fix it. Did you ever fix your issue and if yes... How??
Old 04-09-2023, 03:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Pigtail cam shaft sensor

After a solid year or more of dealing with replacing cam shaft sensors and our 2012 Jeep Wrangler sport still throwing the code I came here for direction and to see if anyone else was experiencing this and low and behold there is an entire thread about this issue. Basically like several of you who came to this thread complaining about this problem, we would replace the cam shaft sensor and almost immediately the traction control light and the service engine light would come on.. Now let me give you a little bit of back history. We replaced the motor in the 2012 Jeep and we were sold a crappy motor luckily we had the warranty so we dealt with the warranty company and was told that we could take it to a local shop and have the motor replaced under warranty and we did and since then they've had this issue. Well last night I pigtailed a new harness on bank 2 and wouldn't you know it fixed it! Thank you so much for all of you on here and those of you that suggested this.. you are a ROCKSTAR 😁
The following 2 users liked this post by BuellaIsHerName253:
aboro (07-28-2023), MarcPA (04-09-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 03:48 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by BuellaIsHerName253
After a solid year or more of dealing with replacing cam shaft sensors and our 2012 Jeep Wrangler sport still throwing the code I came here for direction and to see if anyone else was experiencing this and low and behold there is an entire thread about this issue. Basically like several of you who came to this thread complaining about this problem, we would replace the cam shaft sensor and almost immediately the traction control light and the service engine light would come on.. Now let me give you a little bit of back history. We replaced the motor in the 2012 Jeep and we were sold a crappy motor luckily we had the warranty so we dealt with the warranty company and was told that we could take it to a local shop and have the motor replaced under warranty and we did and since then they've had this issue. Well last night I pigtailed a new harness on bank 2 and wouldn't you know it fixed it! Thank you so much for all of you on here and those of you that suggested this.. you are a ROCKSTAR 😁
Did you fine any short in a wire or simply think it was the actual harness connector and it didn't really matter precisely where you spliced in the new connector?
Old 04-09-2023, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by resharp001
Did you fine any short in a wire or simply think it was the actual harness connector and it didn't really matter precisely where you spliced in the new connector?
Yes one of the wires had a nick in it right up by the base. My bf bought a cam shaft positioning sensor pigtail wire connector, and sliced in a whole new one. No more traction control light, no more service engine light, and no more limp mode.. power definitely restored.
Old 06-20-2023, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Something worth checking as this fixed my issue. I have a 2017 JK, Sport with a 3.6 stock engine.

Some history on this first...I was driving up a slight incline for about 2 miles and the Jeep went into limp mode with a CEL. The code was P0349 (Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Intermittent - Bank 2 Sensor 1) and I did what we all do, look on google. I figured since it was a 'intermittent' issue, I'm thinking the connector is bad from what I read online. I spent about $90 on a new plug (Part # 68148103AA), installed it and was fine for about 2 weeks until the CEL came on again when I was on another hill. As you know, when you're on a incline, you gas it to make it to the top....there is a reason why I mentioned this...keep reading.

This time I pulled a P0345 (Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit - Bank 2 Sensor 1). Now keep in mind, this was only happening when I'm gassing it for a moderate period of time so the sensor being faulty didn't make sense. Long story short, I found a 'STAR CASE' from the local Jeep dealer that explained what could be causing these codes to pop up when everything has been repaired. The discussion was any of the following codes appearing when all trouble shooting has been completed (P0390, P0394, P0365, P0349, P0345, P0344, P0340, P0369, P06DD, P0390, P0394, P0365, P0349, P0365, P0345, P0344, P0340, P0369, P06DD).

This is the discussion word for word....

"​​Discussion: If the vehicle has any of the following DTC's and all of the current diagnostics have been performed with no successful root cause, verify that the OIL GALLEY BOLTS are installed and torqued to proper specifications. Oil leaking from the area can cause air pockets to enter the oil passages and mask different types of concerns as well as improper phaser operation. If the bolts are missing, ensure that they have not fallen in the oil pan. If new bolts are needed please have the parts department order oil galley bolts from STAR PARTS."

So basically these oil galley bolts are coming loose under the valve cover. When under heavy load, you have more pressure which then is forcing air through the threads. These bolts are found just under the cam phasers and are 13mm. When I pulled the cover, located the bolts and checked for tightness, they were so loose I didn't even need a wrench! I added some thread locker and torqued them to 20ft pounds. I went for a long drive up a steep grade that goes for about 10 miles, traveling between 70-75 in 4th gear....no CEL. I've been driving around for about a month and the issue has not come back. ::Knock on wood:::. I truly believe this is the root cause so look, if this code keeps coming back and you've done everything....CHECK. THOSE. BOLTS!

I hope this helps someone.

The following 4 users liked this post by DesertJK702:
aboro (07-28-2023), davegus (07-31-2023), Mr.T (06-20-2023), XJRefugee (06-21-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 06:10 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Nice work and great documentation!

Quick Reply: Cam position sensor and traction control lights, activate limp mode, help!