Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Can you recommend a no-frills tire rack for 37s?

Old 02-22-2023, 06:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you recommend a no-frills tire rack for 37s?

I just bought a 2014 JK Unlimited (my 2dr 2004 TJ was hard with a 2yo kid...) and the previous owner in his infinite wisdom decided to entirely remove the spare tire and the carrier. When I get new tires (soon) I'm planning to buy a 5th and mount it as a spare, and I need something that will fit a 37 inch tire, but I'm sort of in the doghouse for how much the car cost as-is (wife's been polite about it, but still), so I'm talking BARE MINIMUM no features just hold my tire please. Can you guys recommend something? Most of the cheap used ones I see in my area are too small for 37s.
Old 02-22-2023, 10:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned 5 carriers so far (I'm a little parts crazy). I liked the Evolution Offroad hinged carrier so much that I bought another one after selling the first. 3/16" steel, bulletproof. I didn't like the Teraflex at all- the way it clamps to the mounting tube is waiting for it to fall off on the highway.

If you buy one, see if you find it in raw metal and just spray it with rustoleum satin black. I wasn't happy with the powder coat on the first one and I saved money buying the plain one.

https://offroadevolution.com/collect...raw-for-jk-jku

Last edited by zimm17; 02-22-2023 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-23-2023, 04:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,834 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubber_Anchor
the previous owner in his infinite wisdom decided to entirely remove the spare tire and the carrier.
It sounds to me like the previous owner had some pretty good common sense not to be lugging around all the extra weight of a big tire that they would likely never need while driving on pavement. That is the route many of us go, especially when talking about 37s and above. You put a 37 back there and it about eliminates any rearward visability, is 100lbs + of extra weight...not including the weight of a carrier, and you never need it for DD type of purposes.

Regardless, if you are hell bent on it, there are a few good hinge carriers out there. Teraflex was the original and worth the money IMO. I've seen that carrier with a 37 on it. Those may or may not need a little modification depending on your wheel backspacing. That 37 will really crowd the tailgate handle. I'd stay away from the knockoffs myself. EVO is a good brand as well. I've never seen that particular carrier above in person nor have I known anyone with it. I've seen a lot of guys with the MORryde carrier over the years as well with good reviews.
Old 02-23-2023, 04:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a barricade HD Tire Carrier on the back of my wife's JK. Its a hinge mount and rated to hold a 37 in tire and is roughly $400.
Old 02-23-2023, 07:21 AM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Check craigs list or something like that, a lot of people don’t feel the need for a spare, personally, I like to have one, living in a rural area I don’t want to have to walk, cell signal isn’t that great , then the hassle of getting someone to bring me a tire, having a spare I can be back on the road long before anyone can bring me one, then the knowing that I put somebody else out just because I didn’t want to carry an extra tire, the small amount of extra weight doesn’t effect my fuel mileage enough to worry about and it’s outside the jeep, doesn’t take up space inside. May be able to find a used one
Old 03-05-2023, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have ran this kit on both jeeps since it was introduced. It has been flawless for 4 years with a 37" tire. simple design with a serviceable/greaseable hinge.
MORryde 3 piece
Old 03-05-2023, 06:44 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

keep the sprare in the garage. Spend the money on on-board air and a tire plug kit. No reason to carry around and extra 130lb of view blocking weight. If you go on a big wheeling trip, throw it in the back. It will fit fine.
The following users liked this post:
RickLB (03-12-2023)

Quick Reply: Can you recommend a no-frills tire rack for 37s?